Newbie Seeks Advise - firewood stacking location

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kcrtdrl

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all!

New here- I've been browsing the site for a few weeks but this is my first post :hi:

I'm a new homeowner of a one-acre property in SE Pennsylvania looking to start heating with firewood! I'm currently talking to a couple tree companies who say they can supply me with hardwood which I'd have to process and stack. My question is around storage of split wood.

My property is on top of a wooded hill, and there is some slope to the front of the lot. The flattest area is in the back, but it's also the most shaded. I was wondering if I'd be successful in sufficiently drying out stacked wood even if the area is generally shady, if I let it to season for a full year. I'm leery of stacking it in the part of my yard that gets the most sun (which still isn't as much as a fully clear yard because I'm surrounded by trees on all sides), because of the slope of the yard. I'm afraid it'd just be hard to stack and I don't want my piles to fall over constantly.

I'd plan on covering only the tops of my stacks to let air flow around the sides.

Thanks for any advise!

No need to top cover if you have good sun and wind. I would choose a hilly sunny spot long before somewhere that doesn't get sun. Run your stacks up the slope so there is no side to side pull from gravity in single rows where they get sun and wind and a year shouldn't be an issue. Two years would be better though.

No need to top cover if you have good sun and wind. I would choose a hilly sunny spot long before somewhere that doesn't get sun. Run your stacks up the slope so there is no side to side pull from gravity in single rows where they get sun and wind and a year shouldn't be an issue. Two years would be better though.

Thanks for the advise. My plan is to put a wood burning insert in the fireplace the house currently has, and I already bought oil for this winter so no plan to burn for at least a year.

I was planning to pick up some pallets to keep my stacks from touching the ground. I suppose I could try to put some rocks or split wood under the pallets to create a level surface.

You definitely want the ground under the wood pile to be flat or it will tip over. Piles are tough enough to keep standing as it is.

The more sun on the stacks the better. You’ll get varied responses on cover the top versus not. I’d definitely cover the top unless the stacks are in nearly full sun.

I stack on industrial plastic pallets to prevent rot. Hard to tell but this ground is on a slope, you can see I drive heavy t-posts on the downhill/uphill sides and stack against the posts to stabilize the stack. Just me but I cover, nothing written in stone.5317981F-EC67-4C96-A35C-F60EDCDEEDD9.jpeg

Sun and breeze are your friends for seasoning wood. Also think about your path to the stove, as you'll be making frequent runs in all kinds of weather.

The slope should not be too great a problem if you stack well. Take time when stacking to lay a bunch of end pieces crosswise to tie in the whole thing, and tie in one tier to the next with carefully arranged pieces. A well built stack is like a stone wall--not going anywhere. (Those of us who've stacked hay bales, or stone, have learned to tie things together.)

I stack on industrial plastic pallets to prevent rot. Hard to tell but this ground is on a slope, you can see I drive heavy t-posts on the downhill/uphill sides and stack against the posts to stabilize the stack. Just me but I cover, nothing written in stone.View attachment 670980

Thanks for the advise and picture! I may try the t-post method :) I was thinking of plastic pallets actually, but I wasn't sure where/how to get them without spending a fortune. Do you have any recommendations? Is there any type of business that would be looking to get rid of them foe cheap, or are the kinds of things you just have to buy full price but you'd have them for a really long time?

Thanks for the advise and picture! I may try the t-post method :) I was thinking of plastic pallets actually, but I wasn't sure where/how to get them without spending a fortune. Do you have any recommendations? Is there any type of business that would be looking to get rid of them foe cheap, or are the kinds of things you just have to buy full price but you'd have them for a really long time?
I get them near me from a business that sells recycled pallets. They’re 52”x52”x6”, heavy duty. Here I pay $5 each. They will last longer than you. Do a Craigslist search.

Hi all!

New here- I've been browsing the site for a few weeks but this is my first post :hi:

I'm a new homeowner of a one-acre property in SE Pennsylvania looking to start heating with firewood! I'm currently talking to a couple tree companies who say they can supply me with hardwood which I'd have to process and stack. My question is around storage of split wood.

My property is on top of a wooded hill, and there is some slope to the front of the lot. The flattest area is in the back, but it's also the most shaded. I was wondering if I'd be successful in sufficiently drying out stacked wood even if the area is generally shady, if I let it to season for a full year. I'm leery of stacking it in the part of my yard that gets the most sun (which still isn't as much as a fully clear yard because I'm surrounded by trees on all sides), because of the slope of the yard. I'm afraid it'd just be hard to stack and I don't want my piles to fall over constantly.

I'd plan on covering only the tops of my stacks to let air flow around the sides.

Thanks for any advise!
welome to AS @Kcrtdrl. lots of variables in you situation but i wood try and get some plastic pallets if you can find them cheap. i like to top cover wood to keep rain and snow out of the stack. wet wood sucks!! Wood from tree companies can be gold or lead. lots of their stuff is to big to handle unless you have the right saws. watch craigslist for free or cheap wood. i'm over in York co.

welome to AS @Kcrtdrl. lots of variables in you situation but i wood try and get some plastic pallets if you can find them cheap. i like to top cover wood to keep rain and snow out of the stack. wet wood sucks!! Wood from tree companies can be gold or lead. lots of their stuff is to big to handle unless you have the right saws. watch craigslist for free or cheap wood. i'm over in York co.

Thanks! I already picked up a couple used tarps on eBay, so I'll probably put them to use :)

I'll start to peruse Craigslist, but I only have a Subaru forester, so not a huge amount of room to take home loads of wood from others' properties.

The tree guy I've been in contact with took down about 5 poplars and an oak at my place when we first moved in - I told him to leave the wood. I figured, it's free so I'll burn it. I realize poplar isn't the most ideal burning wood, but I've seen some say that it's good spring/fall wood so I asked him for some good hardwood next time he's in my area and he says he can set me up . Hoping to have it all split and stacked before this winter so I can start using it in 2019. Poplar for spring/fall and to make kindling with, and hardwood for the colder months :)

I have a Stihl farm boss saw with an 18" bar, so hopefully that's enough to get through it all!

If you have a Costco near you and a membership or a friend that has a membership they have 12’x16’ tarps, 2 pack, heavy duty for $21. I pick them up when I go for my buddies, they love them. Been using them for 3 years, no complaints.

Shade creates more issues then just longer drying time. Every time it rains and gets wet, it stays wet longer and mold and fungus starts in and mother nature will claim your wood before you can use it. With a small yard your choices are surly limited.

Back