Lindig drum chipper need info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akendall78

Reaction score
Hey all, new member with my first post..

3 days ago I purchased a drum chipper just cause it was cheap...however I may keep it and use it for a back up.

It's a lindig 16" model xr16, with an amc 360 on it
I'm curious to know if anyone can help me figure out what year it is....I can find nothing by doing online searches..

Attachments

• 20180817_114128.jpg
    20180817_114128.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 9
I would get the engine make and motor serial number and call a dealership and find out what year the engine is. That's if you think the engine hasn't been replaced.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400

That must be an old chipper for sure. I know a little about AMC engines, having restored some big Jeep pickups. I know nothing about Lindig chippers.
The last year AMC made the 360, was 1984. Chrysler continued building that engine for Jeep Wagoners through 1991. If it is an original engine on there, then you have an old chipper. Those 360 AMC engines are not too durable in my opinion. I had a lot of trouble getting parts even 10 years ago. For the engine parts, you need a good counter man at the parts store, who really knows engines and how to look stuff up. You do know that AMC = made from "All Manufacturer's Parts"? It is no telling what make of part you might have on the engine, as AMC by then, was using whatever was cheap to get, to build engines. A lot are ford parts, so a good counter man is important.
If you need much engine work, it is best to swap it for a more common engine.

I would get the engine make and motor serial number and call a dealership and find out what year the engine is. That's if you think the engine hasn't been replaced.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400

Would you kindly give me the phone number of my local AMC dealer?

I guess "old" is subjective. A chipper from the 80s or 90s isn't that old in my eyes. Shoot I have run equipment that was around during WW2.

The 360 is a great engine and parts are fairly easy to get.

That must be an old chipper for sure. I know a little about AMC engines, having restored some big Jeep pickups. I know nothing about Lindig chippers.
The last year AMC made the 360, was 1984. Chrysler continued building that engine for Jeep Wagoners through 1991. If it is an original engine on there, then you have an old chipper. Those 360 AMC engines are not too durable in my opinion. I had a lot of trouble getting parts even 10 years ago. For the engine parts, you need a good counter man at the parts store, who really knows engines and how to look stuff up. You do know that AMC = made from "All Manufacturer's Parts"? It is no telling what make of part you might have on the engine, as AMC by then, was using whatever was cheap to get, to build engines. A lot are ford parts, so a good counter man is important.
If you need much engine work, it is best to swap it for a more common engine.

Jeep hasn’t been part of AMC since they went out of business over 30 years ago. Do you really think anybody at the dealer even remembers AMC, let alone has records for a company has been defunct for over 3 decades?

Forget about any dealers. However, any GOOD auto parts store, can find what AMC parts are available for that engine.

Back