Spotted Lanternfly

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep. real close to me. @nomad_archer is right in the general area where it was found. Just about everything is under quarantine that moves from the area. Firewood,grills,produce,nursery stock,vehicles,you name it. Vineyards were pretty hard hit last year. Not gonna work just like the ash borer quarantine.

Yep it's in my neck of the woods. I haven't come in contact with that bug yet but its only a matter of time. The freaking ash borer is killing 3 big ole ash trees in my back yard. The good news is they will make good firewood. I would have rather they stayed standing.

Yep it's in my neck of the woods. I haven't come in contact with that bug yet but its only a matter of time. The freaking ash borer is killing 3 big ole ash trees in my back yard. The good news is they will make good firewood. I would have rather they stayed standing.
Keep an eye on your grapes!!!

Sadly, I live near the epicenter of their original identification. Last year they were bad, especially in one corner of my woodlot. I have pictures (which I can't find now) of dozens of the mature SLF on an exposed root that had been barked by an ATV tire. Unbeknownst to me, it was the root of a Tree of Heaven, their favorite host tree. I waited till winter and took the tree down:

IMG_2634.JPG

FWIW, I had a little trouble getting this tree down where I wanted it. I posted my trouble in this thread: https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/tree-of-heaven-what-is-it-good-for.319847/

The tree grows fast, is also invasive, and is a really soft wood. I found a guy who wanted the wood, so I cut the log into rounds, split them in half for ease of lifting, and helped him load his pickup truck several times to rid my property:

IMG_2661.JPG

I sprayed the stump and surrounds with some herbicide. I also scrapped hundreds of egg masses over the winter and spring. I hike my woodlot every day, and just scrapped wherever I found them. This summer I've been smashing the nymphs as I see them, and wrapped a couple of my ornamental trees with an adhesive strip to catch them.

I've written my thoughts on the quarantine before. The fact that the name of the bug is "Spotted Lantern Fly" suggests a quarantine will never work. They move more or less like a grass hopper with hundred yard flying paths. Suggests my efforts to purge them from my property is like going to prove futile.

Sadly, I live near the epicenter of their original identification. Last year they were bad, especially in one corner of my woodlot. I have pictures (which I can't find now) of dozens of the mature SLF on an exposed root that had been barked by an ATV tire. Unbeknownst to me, it was the root of a Tree of Heaven, their favorite host tree. I waited till winter and took the tree down:

View attachment 666687

The tree grows fast, is also invasive, and is a really soft wood. I found a guy who wanted the wood, so I cut the log into rounds, split them in half for ease of lifting, and helped him load his pickup truck several times to rid my property:

View attachment 666688

I sprayed the stump and surrounds with some herbicide. I also scrapped hundreds of egg masses over the winter and spring. I hike my woodlot every day, and just scrapped wherever I found them. This summer I've been smashing the nymphs as I see them, and wrapped a couple of my ornamental trees with an adhesive strip to catch them.

I've written my thoughts on the quarantine before. The fact that the name of the bug is "Spotted Lantern Fly" suggests a quarantine will never work. They move more or less like a grass hopper with hundred yard flying paths. Suggests my efforts to purge them from my property is like going to prove futile.
Bluebird nesting boxes?

I carry my placard in my truck, but have never been asked to show it - Yet.

Sadly, my work last winter to eradicate the Tree of Heaven population on my property, and to scrape every egg mass I found did not eliminate the dastardly fly from my property. This is the trunk of a silver maple that I found hundreds of SLF on.

IMG_4062.jpg

I've sprayed it since this picture, and find a ring of hundreds of dead on the ground around it now. But I no longer own spray equipment to get high enough in the tree to get to all them.

I was up in Reading last friday and saw one of these pricks on my boat trailer tire after I came out of the marine shop. I chased that bug 40 yards across the parking lot trying to kill him. They are quick. I didn't get him and probably made a fool out of myself. Where I was is ~20 miles from my home base as the crow flies. Thats a bit too close for comfort.

Maybe it's time to tell the environuts to F.O. and bring back DDT. Yes, it harms the rest of the environment, but at the rate that these bugs are destroying things, there's not going to be an environment to worry about.
There are lots of effective insecticides out there, bringing back a horrendously toxic chemical (banned worldwide) that accumulates and moves up the food chain is about the opposite of an effective response.

I am in Lehigh Co PA (next to Berks) and they hit full force here this summer (only a few last year). They are super quick and have serious survival reflex when you try to swat them. Wife keeps asking about spraying but unfortunately, I think it is futile given the reservoir of habitat on and around my property. I have already seen an impact in the recent month when they matured to adults this season.

I am in Lehigh Co PA (next to Berks) and they hit full force here this summer (only a few last year). They are super quick and have serious survival reflex when you try to swat them. Wife keeps asking about spraying but unfortunately, I think it is futile given the reservoir of habitat on and around my property. I have already seen an impact in the recent month when they matured to adults this season.
Cant like this.

Back