“Clean” yard trees?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What do you guys suggest for a good yard tree? By that I mean something that doesn’t drop a ton of seeds, cones, etc. Which excludes evergreens, oak, birch, aspen/cottonwood, basswood, and so on. Also looking for something that grows relatively fast but lives for a long time as well.

Red maple with the tiny helicopters aren’t too bad. Basswood **** those berries everywhere when they are mature so they are out lol.

Maple is the best IMO. Grow very fast. Colors are great. And when you are ready the maple splits VERY easy, seasons faster than most and creates very respectable amounts of BTU’s.

Leaves are also fast decomposing and contain little acids so they are great for your compost.

My favorite tree in all aspects really

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disease resistant elm (accolade, princeton etc.) or maple.

I go for the elm since they are more of a novelty these days that everyone doesn't have and are good trees.

Red maple with the tiny helicopters aren’t too bad. Basswood **** those berries everywhere when they are mature so they are out lol.
@svk We have a red maple in our yard and it is over 40 years old. It drops a lot of small dead branches on the yard.

I have one of those honey locusts in our yard. It’s right over an area where we park our cars. Don’t do that. It drips a fine “honey” sap all year long.

How about a beech. They seem to grow symmetrical and have that really cool smooth bark. I have a bunch on my property and have been planning on transplanting some saplings. Good luck!

I second third and forth all the locus, Sunburst and others tiny leaves which break down quick in the fall and gone come spring.
Provides a bit of color and a lot of shade.

Branches tend to drup a bit so will need to be trimmed at first.

:D Al

Sunburst locust, or similar variety. Very easy yard tree.
very nice tree with nice color on new shoots. i'll agree with others on the small leaves BUT make sure they are far away from rain gutters. mine do drop some dead limbs but they are great kindling. mine also send up some suckers from the roots. fast growing tree and if you don't like it in a few years it will be good firewood.

Latest posts

Back