Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know Poulan get a bad rap but it's the user fault not the equipment, I have the 4016 and I adjusted the carb setting 2 turns to the left and follow the starting directions. It use to idle bad and after revving up the engine and releasing the trigger it would die so adjusting the carb 2 turns to the left solved that problem and it idles so much smoother. It also cranks right up after shutting it off for 10 minutes or so. I use only ethanol free fuel and use only a 1 gallon fuel can so the oil mixture will be perfect. The only thing I see IMO that gives Stihl a higher rating is they use GOOD parts and Poulan uses "made in china" cheap parts but what do one expects for a 130$ gas CS. You can't build a CS with great parts for less than Stihl charges.

I really believe I'll get 10yrs out of my Poulan, I also bought a Poulan because I'm just a HO and do have the abundance of timber I think a Stihl is required for but if it comes to having to buy another CS it will be a Stihl. I also bought a Oregon 541656 16-Inch PowerSharp Starter Kit for the Poulan and it is a great investment if you own a GCS. I have already sharpened the chain 4 times and it still has that many left or more. It takes only 3-5 seconds to sharpen your chain on the CS and within 10 seconds you can be cutting again, Great invention! Buy them from Amazon for the best prices.

I know Poulan get a bad rap but it's the user fault not the equipment, I have the 4016 and I adjusted the carb setting 2 turns to the left and follow the starting directions. It use to idle bad and after revving up the engine and releasing the trigger it would die so adjusting the carb 2 turns to the left solved that problem and it idles so much smoother. It also cranks right up after shutting it off for 10 minutes or so. I use only ethanol free fuel and use only a 1 gallon fuel can so the oil mixture will be perfect. The only thing I see IMO that gives Stihl a higher rating is they use GOOD parts and Poulan uses "made in china" cheap parts but what do one expects for a 130$ gas CS. You can't build a CS with great parts for less than Stihl charges.

I really believe I'll get 10yrs out of my Poulan, I also bought a Poulan because I'm just a HO and do have the abundance of timber I think a Stihl is required for but if it comes to having to buy another CS it will be a Stihl. I also bought a Oregon 541656 16-Inch PowerSharp Starter Kit for the Poulan and it is a great investment if you own a GCS. I have already sharpened the chain 4 times and it still has that many left or more. It takes only 3-5 seconds to sharpen your chain on the CS and within 10 seconds you can be cutting again, Great invention! Buy them from Amazon for the best prices.

I've said for years that if you take the homeowner saws from Stihl, Husky, Dolmar, and Poulan remove the outer cases, and 9 of ten "fanboys" couldn't tell you which was which.
For the niche they are designed to fill, I'll take a Poulan over the Stihl any day. They are cheaper to buy, cheaper to maintain and their repair can almost always be done with ordinary hand tools.
Stihl makes a good product for the most part but they are NOT the "end all be all" that Stihl's advertising dept. would have you believe.

Welcome to the site!
Stick around and you will learn more than you ever wanted to know about a chainsaw!!!

Mike

I've said for years that if you take the homeowner saws from Stihl, Husky, Dolmar, and Poulan remove the outer cases, and 9 of ten "fanboys" couldn't tell you which was which.
For the niche they are designed to fill, I'll take a Poulan over the Stihl any day. They are cheaper to buy, cheaper to maintain and their repair can almost always be done with ordinary hand tools.
Stihl makes a good product for the most part but they are NOT the "end all be all" that Stihl's advertising dept. would have you believe.

Welcome to the site!
Stick around and you will learn more than you ever wanted to know about a chainsaw!!!

Mike

Hi Mike! How's all with you?

Hi Mike! How's all with you?

I'm getting OLD, FAT, and CRIPPLED but the Lord keeps allowing me to wake every morning and lie down at night in a warm/cool, dry house with a refrigerator full of food, electric lights, running water
and a grumpy old wife!!!
Life is GOOD!
How are things up in the frozen north?

Mike

I'm getting OLD, FAT, and CRIPPLED but the Lord keeps allowing me to wake every morning and lie down at night in a warm/cool, dry house with a refrigerator full of food, electric lights, running water
and a grumpy old wife!!!
Life is GOOD!
How are things up in the frozen north?

Mike

Pretty darn hot these days up here. All is well here. Spending a lot of time with the grandkids and enjoying life. Not too much time on the saws lately. I seem to be too busy.

I need to get a bit more wood in for the fireplace before it get's cold. Not sure I like doing that anymore when it's hot and humid.

Getting old is no fun for sure. I joined a gym last year It has helped a lot. I'm embarrassed I let myself get in such bad shape which led to too many injuries.
Feeling better for it.

Take care of yourself.

Does anyone know if Oregon ever made a rim & drum sprocket for the Poulan 2000? Their current catalog shows only a drive spur (which I did get) but I'd like to go with a rim if possible. If they did, perhaps I can find one NOS somewhere.

Up in Vermont and can pick up a 245a for $30. Has comp which is all I know. Not sure if I need another saw but price is good.

I have seen a few rare cases on here where someone actually needed a saw vs wanted. I should have bookmarked them.

I would jump on that 245 with both feet.

da086b4e2b3c08050ce062827a44c79c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back