Old veteran requests supervision

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did some more straightening up of the work site. Managed to get the huge concrete block pried up enough where I could begin busting it up with a 12-lb sledge hammer. In that manner I was able to get it completely removed from the stump area, so the grinder will have easy access. Found someone who will grind it to 6" below grade for $400; that's the best I could do, and that's with me getting rid of the mulch. He is scheduled to do it on Friday.

400 is absurd I'd from getting on site to chaining up be like 30 mins tops if I used our self propelled or like 15 mins with the tow behind. We are not cheap for stumps we would be like 250 bucks when ever we were in the area. No joke tho there's a dozen guys here that would grind that thing for 80 bucks

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I think it's crazy too. The first guy wanted $900 just to grind the stump! BTW the stump cross section, at the "top", where I made the last cut, is about 2-1/2' across. Perhaps this photo best shows the scope of the grinding project, which includes the roots that create this large mound. That all needs to be taken down to 6" below grade, so quite a large area besides just the stump. Even if I rented a stump grinder at $250 (someone suggested), and did it myself, I'd have spent most of that. Maybe I'm screwing up. Frankly I've never even seen a stump grinder but know I could figure it out.

I think it's crazy too. The first guy wanted $900 just to grind the stump! BTW the stump cross section, at the "top", where I made the last cut, is about 2-1/2' across. Perhaps this photo best shows the scope of the grinding project, which includes the roots that create this large mound. That all needs to be taken down to 6" below grade, so quite a large area besides just the stump. Even if I rented a stump grinder at $250 (someone suggested), and did it myself, I'd have spent most of that. Maybe I'm screwing up. Frankly I've never even seen a stump grinder but know I could figure it out.

No pictures Sir.

$400 sounds steep but if the rental is $250, pay the man the other $150 & let him hassle with it.

Great job EZ1 and @jomoco :rock:.

I took liberty to make an adjustment to your ad for the wood since the link you posted was to edit the ad, not really as I didn't post it ;).
I just added an important line that seems to be in most free wood ads on craigslist.

Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 12.41.51 AM.png

How far below grade do you normally take them?
Normally I look for swell of root flare where the ground raises up I start there and take it 6 or more inches deep from that point through the stump and out the other side! I have charged more than minimum a time or two because the roots were all over the yard and or they were putting a footer in the stump area and needed all the stump ground out so then it was 2 foot deep!

The stump grinder showed up on time this morning but, after running the machine a very short time, blew a fuse on the machine. As neither of us had the correct spare I wired in a different style in-line fuse holder that I had on hand. Then a different fuse blew! I had a replacement fuse for that, but he continued to have trouble. So he phoned his boss, who rescheduled for after lunch with a different machine. After 1/2-hour of running he ran out of gas and had to borrow a hose from me so he could siphon some from his truck!

Anyway, he's still working at it. And yet I'm extremely glad I didn't rent one of these things; that's not a job for an old man.

. . .after running the machine a very short time, blew a fuse on the machine. . . . Then a different fuse blew! . . . but he continued to have trouble. . . . 1/2-hour of running he ran out of gas and had to borrow a hose from me so he could siphon some from his truck!
Sounds like you really hired the 'A-Team'!

Screen shot 2018-09-07 at 4.42.44 PM.png

Philbert

Not too impressed with the organization, so far but, when the machine is running, he works hard. I'll be surprised if I don't catch **** from y neighbors over the immense dust cloud.

I'll post some photos later of the guy grinding the stump. He probably had ~2-1/2 hours of actual grinding.

I'm doing the grading right now, while there's still daylight, and bagging mulch. Finally cooling off a bit.

Back