Can someone point me in the direction of a good book or books that cover porting saw engines? It wou

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snapped finger

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Can someone point me in the direction of a good book or books that cover porting saw engines? It would be helpful if it was written for the non mechanics.

I guess no one wants to tell you..
Gordon Jennings and Graham Bell both wrote good books on the subject,their stuff is a little dated,but fine for primitive saw engines.

Go to YouTube and search porting two stroke engines. Good cheap way to start. Checkout porting two stroke dirtbike engines too.

I started out making little changes. One at a time to see the difference. Then on my last engine I did all the changes to one engine.

There’s more info on you tube I’d learn there first.

I think the whole gambit must be covered not just porting the cylinder and piston. I believe the lower end must be addressed balancing wise too. That’s online at you tube too.

Gordon Jennings 2 stroke tuners handbook has been around for 40 some years....

Gordon is an engineer... And at one time an engineer of saws.... He is a renouned pioneer in 2 stroke performance.... And the good thing is that the physics his work is based on... Is still the physics of how it all works...

Excellent comprehensive reference ...

Years back on deciding I needed my RR bike tuned I contacted a "guru of the dayre moding the motorhis firstuestio tome was "What doe's / doesn't it do & what do you want it to do"there' s more to in the bike world to tuning than "Graunching lumps of metal from barrel& ajoining bits "

Latest posts

Back