Dirty Hand tools 4 way

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FredBear

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
what are your thoughts on the Dirty Hand tools 4 way for there splitters? I have one and have used it a bit but I'm not sure it's strong enough for some of the hard wood.

what are your thoughts on the Dirty Hand tools 4 way for there splitters? I have one and have used it a bit but I'm not sure it's strong enough for some of the hard wood.

I have no experience with it but as a welder I will give you my opinion on it. A single pass weld on something like that in my opinion is not enough.

Take my opinion for what it’s worth as I have not use that product I would make my own before using that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They haven’t had the best reviews. And DHTs fine print says it’s for soft wood only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMHO, 4 ways must be hydraulically adjustable. On crotches one must use some common sense and have the wing all the way down so the splitter is just breaking in half. If the wing cannot be adjusted out of the way, bad things will happen quickly to any splitter.

They may not have the best design, however I've split cord after cord of wood with ours. Just use your head and dont try to take on knarly wood or crotches. I split all my straight grained stuff with the 4 way (depending on size) and put on the single wedge for knarly stuff.

Mine has worked fine but I am also smart on it. No crothces or knarlys. I modified the strippers to work better though.

For $1k plus or minus I think it is a good machine. There are some manufacturers that have the 4 and 6 way wedges that appear to go through just about anything, but just to get into that game you are looking at 5 times, or more, money. As the one poster $seemed to $ay that good judgement goes a long way. Problem is that some consumers think that turning the ignition key is all they must think about. Quality control seems to be all over the board now a days- If you have problems with welds, make a claim to keep the manufacturer straight for the future.

I split just about all hardwood, and I hate that damn 4 way. It hasn't broken, but I just don't like the way it works. I have too much get stuck under the horizontal wedge that I have to cycle all the way back to clear out. Plus, I just can't ever seem to get them the size I want. In the long run, I think I go quicker with the single. It's sits in my barn, while I use the adjustable single wedge that came with it. I do like that.

To be clear - I thought the question was about the 4-way not the DHT machine itself. The machine’s worked well and no issues on that; it’s the DHT 4-way attachment that didn’t work for me.

I have tried the 4-way attachment, but was very disappointed. My first step was to gusset and reinforce the cradle, but that was not enough. The whole cradle twisted at least an inch. Then I broke the side wings off several times. I am getting ready to build yet another splitter with the 4-way design in mind. Yes one has to be very careful on how it is used. With some reason I think it can work. The big knots are the problem. Thanks

I have tried the 4-way attachment, but was very disappointed. My first step was to gusset and reinforce the cradle, but that was not enough. The whole cradle twisted at least an inch. Then I broke the side wings off several times. I am getting ready to build yet another splitter with the 4-way design in mind. Yes one has to be very careful on how it is used. With some reason I think it can work. The big knots are the problem. Thanks

You are more or less reinforcing my point. The 4 way must be adjustable hydraulically.

I don't have a DHT but I have my own home built with an adjustable 4 way slicing wedge. Pick your battles fellas, if you try to break it you will. I drop my wedge on any nasty pieces because it takes a lot longer to fix stuff than it does to drop the wedge. Welding the wings back on just means you are going to bust something else.

Any photos of the mod/ damage/ and repair?

I don't have a DHT but I have my own home built with an adjustable 4 way slicing wedge. Pick your battles fellas, if you try to break it you will. I drop my wedge on any nasty pieces because it takes a lot longer to fix stuff than it does to drop the wedge. Welding the wings back on just means you are going to bust something else.

I agree!

You must be able to drop the wings to bust gnarly pieces.

Back