My new old saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fires are mostly across the border in BC

Lots of smoke here for a while. It has subsided lately

And thanks for the tips re mild durability mods! I will be all over that
Three weeks ago Calgary and southern Alberta was smoked right out as in 100 yard visibility, was it the same up north?

Btw awesome saw, I look on kijiji from time to time and have never seen any vintage pro saws from husky, great find and consider yourself lucky!!!

Dogs aren't just for felling, they give you incredible leverage while bucking too...

Yes I totally agree with this statement, I try and run big dogs when I can and it really makes everything easier

Sure, it's nice having big dogs when bucking with a big bar, like 28"+, but for most firewood use, I think big dogs are annoying. If your chain is sharp and your rakers are right, leverage is totally unnecessary.

I especially dislike the big west coast style dogs. Some designs are worse than others, but an example is the ones for the stihl 460. The bottom point is so far forward and so far down that if your chain is self feeding well and that dog touches wood the chain will pull the saw forward and stall the chain from the leverage, even if you're not pulling up on the handle. I know @ri chevy has experienced what I'm talking about. Even has a video I think.

Maybe it's different in West coast softwood, but for cutting oak, I'll take a small regular spike please.

Yes sir I have experienced the large dogs jamming the saw up as soon as it hits wood. As have many others. I have since modified the dogs somewhat on my 460. I just have to put it in some wood to see if it helps. I will post some pics what I can.

Dogs aren't just for felling, they give you incredible leverage while bucking too...

Sorry sir, but you need to sharpen your chain. The proper “feed” of the wood is governed by the chain, not by how hard it is pushed. Nobody who knows uses dawgs for leverage (or for very much leverage). They are used to position the saw and guide the bar.

Those guys that race saws; do they use dawgs? Basically dawgs will slow you down if you’re bucking unless your chain is sharpened poorly.

You will wear out many saws working the dawgs for hard leverage.

Sheesh.

IMO, anyway.

Neither of my old Jonny’s have dawgs. One I have had for 30 years. Don’t need them, never missed them on a light limbing/bucking saw.

They just get in my way, like I said. A little inner spike is all I need. And I rarely even use that. It’s nice for case protection and keeping the muffler off the log tho..

Sorry sir, but you need to sharpen your chain. The proper “feed” of the wood is governed by the chain, not by how hard it is pushed. Nobody who knows uses dawgs for leverage (or for very much leverage). They are used to position the saw and guide the bar.

Those guys that race saws; do they use dawgs? Basically dawgs will slow you down if you’re bucking unless your chain is sharpened poorly.

You will wear out many saws working the dawgs for hard leverage.

Sheesh.

IMO, anyway.
Sorry Holycow I was a faller for years on the North Coast/Queen Charlottes. When you are bucking a six+ footer and the saw isn't bogging down, you can pull on the saw, you'll get through the log faster... in my experience

Lol, what does wifey mean on google?

I googled it; apparently it is a condescending term towards women. I guess a woman wrote that. I always thought it was an affectionate way of saying wife.

Wrong again! Damn!

That's twice today already.

Three weeks ago Calgary and southern Alberta was smoked right out as in 100 yard visibility, was it the same up north?

Btw awesome saw, I look on kijiji from time to time and have never seen any vintage pro saws from husky, great find and consider yourself lucky!!!

I do, and regarding the smoke; it wasn't quite that bad, but the sun was an orange ball in the sky and it never got full daylight for several days at a time, on and off.

Sorry Holycow I was a faller for years on the North Coast/Queen Charlottes. When you are bucking a six+ footer and the saw isn't bogging down, you can pull on the saw, you'll get through the log faster... in my experience
What kind of splitter do you use on those 6 foot rounds. Think you are talking timber and he is talking firewood. Might be wrong.

I'm talking limbing and bucking small wood. gordgord is just makin sure we know that he has worked with big wood. It's a BC thing. He would be rid of those big dawgs as soon as he limbed and bucked one of my hairy beetlekilled jackpines. Or not.

BC guys like big dawgs and big bars, even if they don't need them for the particular job at hand. It's a thing.

I like the little bumper on my new old saw. I might put one on a couple of other saws....

Lol, what does wifey mean on google?

I googled it; apparently it is a condescending term towards women. I guess a woman wrote that. I always thought it was an affectionate way of saying wife.

Wrong again! Damn!

That's twice today already.
Actually it was a video search......
Safe search "off"......

I've been watching Kijiji all summer for something interesting. A bunch of good looking pro saws priced reasonably have come and gone. They last a few hours to a day at most. I happened to look just a few minutes after that 262 was posted. I couldn't resist. One pic of an almost pristine recoil decal and an unburnt top cover and most of the left side of the saw was all it took for me to call the fellow. He seemed really decent, had a plausible story, and I was in. Didn't quibble on the price, got the case thrown in, shared shipping cost and voila; 262xp waiting for me when I get home.

There's a fairly decent looking 026 and ... something else there right now (I just looked for you). As well as 2 good looking ms171, 170's for 120 bucks or so (cheap saws cheap).

There was a decent looking 2171, a 372, a 353, and many others along the way. Only the 262 really got my attention. That 2171 may have been decent, I was very tempted. But you're right, not too much 80's-90's stuff. Lots of early 2000's stuff, which could end up to be the best as history goes down...

Just like I needed 2 Jonny 590's to make sure I always have one, now I have to keep my eyes peeled for another 262. Basket case or not...

The second Jonny 590 was a fluke. I happened to search kijiji for one out of the blue one day and one turned up in North Bay, Ontario. They just DON'T ever show up for sale, but there it was. I paid too much, but not much too much cause I had one and I knew what it was. It is not in the shape that the 262 is in, at least appearance wise, but it runs and feels exactly like my original one. Which is basically perfect (not in appearance, but in operation).

Pick a few saws you'd be interested in, look around, and eventually a good one will show up. Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back