My new old saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hear you on good used saws not staying on Kijiji long, I looked for a month before giving up and buying a Chinese saw new. That 262 was a good deal.
I also don't need bucking spikes/dawgs, I don't need to cut down huge trees and my saws are faster bucking letting them cut without pushing on them. Its a reginal thing IMO, no one I know has a long bar or spikes on their saw, big saws around here are 60-70cc with 20 inch bars, most run 50cc saws as they cut our smallish wood great.

That 262 was a fair price, as long as it doesn't need any work.

Some of the old saws are simply overpriced to the point of ridiculous. And many are not.

That 262 was a fair price, as long as it doesn't need any work.

Some of the old saws are simply overpriced to the point of ridiculous. And many are not.

Looks like a nice oldly but goody.

Never ran one buts seems to be = to the 036 stihl of same vintage . I've 2 of those stihls and they are my favorite in the collection now for firewood < 20". If you've ran a 036, how do they compare?

What kind of splitter do you use on those 6 foot rounds. Think you are talking timber and he is talking firewood. Might be wrong.
You are correct of course, I am talking timber falling.....I didn't know this site was for firewood posts only. So different dimension trees, different types of saws.
Be proud of the work you do, even if it's just beetlekill jackpine!

Looks like a nice oldly but goody.

Never ran one buts seems to be = to the 036 stihl of same vintage . I've 2 of those stihls and they are my favorite in the collection now for firewood < 20". If you've ran a 036, how do they compare?

I have both right now. Both are ported though, so you their attitudes have changed a little bit from stock. The 262 is definitely smoother and it has a better air filter. It's a little quicker on the trigger too. I've been meaning to set them both up to run 72dl of 3/8 chain and run a test with the same chain in the same log. They're both angry little saws.

You are correct of course, I am talking timber falling.....I didn't know this site was for firewood posts only. So different dimension trees, different types of saws.
Be proud of the work you do, even if it's just beetlekill jackpine!
More 24-36 inch oak wilt kill here. Red oak. 262-562-372-390 work. Not much work for a 394-395-3120, unless you just want a big saw.

I have both right now. Both are ported though, so you their attitudes have changed a little bit from stock. The 262 is definitely smoother and it has a better air filter. It's a little quicker on the trigger too. I've been meaning to set them both up to run 72dl of 3/8 chain and run a test with the same chain in the same log. They're both angry little saws.

That's the chain setup I use on my 036s, seems to be the sweet spot for that size saw. I also those on the 038M when the wood is small. Nice to be able to swap bars/chains.

Here's the 036 I got free (lean seize) then rebuilt with OEM. Prior owner had a 28" ES on it (who knowns why?), I refurbished that and use on my 90cc saws, the 036 got a new 20".

freebee036.jpg DSC_0032.JPG

P.S. would be interested in the port work on the 036. PM me if you have specs or pictures.

Nice score on the 262xp! Nice to see a 1990 model with the correct 6 bolt muffler - quite rare! Those 4 torx screws on the front (1 broken) actually only hold the front cover on the muffler. There are 2 bolts inside the muffler that hold the muffler to the cylinder.

Welcome to the 262xp club! :cheers:

Who ported the saws? Would be a cool comparison. 036 and 262 same wood, same bar and chain.

Who ported the saws? Would be a cool comparison. 036 and 262 same wood, same bar and chain.

Dr. Al did my 036. Dan, paragonbuilder did the 262.

I used to grab my 440 after the wood got too big for the 50cc saws. Now those 2 have taken a lot of the action away from it. Of course if the weather is cold, I'll grab that 440, since it's got the little switch that I love. :)

Nice score on the 262xp! Nice to see a 1990 model with the correct 6 bolt muffler - quite rare! Those 4 torx screws on the front (1 broken) actually only hold the front cover on the muffler. There are 2 bolts inside the muffler that hold the muffler to the cylinder.

Sure about that. Thought top two hold plate to muffler, middle two hold plate and muffler to cylinder, bottom two hold plate and muffler to case. Maybe wrong.

Sure about that. Thought top two hold plate to muffler, middle two hold plate and muffler to cylinder, bottom two hold plate and muffler to case. Maybe wrong.
Have a look - the 2 bolts that hold the muffler to the cylinder are inside those tubes that are only visible once the front cover is removed.
IMG_20180909_190011.jpg IMG_20180909_190237.jpg

Have a look - the 2 bolts that hold the muffler to the cylinder are inside those tubes that are only visible once the front cover is removed.
View attachment 673885 View attachment 673886

This is good news, this muffler info. I'm glad that the broken bolt is not structural. I was wondering about the muffler bolt differences I had seen in some internet pics. Now I know.

Also; this club, do I need to bring a salad? or a pie? Hot dogs? How much are dues?

So what is a decent paint for a chainsaw muffler? Mine doesn’t look as nice as yours CJ! I don’t think the whole saw is as pristine as yours!

I’m a little curious as to what caused the very rusty muffler on my saw!?? Moisture, yes, but are they very prone to rust?

Also, what sort of reflective heat tape is good for under the top cover. I checked online Canadian Tire and Napa and didn’t see much..,

Thanks

Hard to say what would have caused your muffler to rust so badly - they aren't really prone to rusting like that. You could clean it up on a wire wheel on a bench grinder then use a high heat paint to re-paint it. There is a member here @PA Dan who has had some mufflers powder coated and they look excellent!

Here is a link to one type of heat reflective tape. There are many kinds and I think some guys are even using foil duct tape.
https://www.amazon.ca/010461-Reflec...79&sr=8-18&keywords=heat+reflective+tape&th=1

Back