New guy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEAZrim

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all,
I just found this forum doing a search for parts for my 262xp. I’m glad to be here and this site is filled with great info even though I’ve just scratched the surface of what’s here. I bought my 262xp new in 1991 and used it for a few years in SW Colorado where I grew up. Firewood saw and limbed for a cousin who had a logging business. Moved to AZ in 95 and the saw sat for many years with minimal occasional use. Moved to NE Az a couple years ago and back to cutting firewood with the 262 and a new 550xp. Love both of the saws!
I do need a recoil cover bolt for the 262 and I’m wondering where the best place to buy quality replacement parts online like that is. I currently have a cheap bolt in it from my local hardware store but I want a correct bolt for it. The saw is getting older and I’m most likely going to need things from time to time so I wanted to ask y’all about best places to buy OEM and aftermarket parts online.
I do have to say I wish I would have found this place before I bought my 550xp... I got a good deal on it but I see there are a couple of guys here selling new saws for great prices. In the future I’ll be buying from them for sure!
This is a great place and I’m excited to learn here and enjoy the site!

Welcome to the forum. Someone out there must have a bathtub full of those starter cover screws, because every used cover you look at is missing them, and no one seems to have any spares. They are still available from your local dealer and various places online. They aren't cheap, but if you only need one it's not going to break the bank. If your saw has the torx head screws, you are limited to putting the more common slotted/phillips type screw in your cover, as the torx screws are NLA.

Now we need some pics of your 262xp!

ECE68506-94BD-4072-B646-4F4E69B3E29C.jpeg
Here’s the 262 and the 550. I’ve only cut 2 pickup loads of wood with the 550 and it still has its third tank of gas in it. But so far I really like it. It’s a nice lightweight saw for sure. There are no saw shops or saw dealers anywhere close to me. Ace Hardware has a couple chains, saws, bars, etc but no parts. There is another place that sells new Stihl saws but also no parts. Looking here a little more I found a couple online places that have the screw for about $3 so that’s probably what I’ll do. That 262 has been a really great saw! Don’t know if the 550 will ever live up to the 262 for reliability... The old 272 was a good saw but the 262 would cut circles around it!

1992, week 10, saw number 121 I'm thinking that's right around the time Husqvarna switched from KS cylinders to Mahle, and started using the smaller venturi 120 carburetor. It would be interesting to find out what is under the hood of your saw!

I'm drooling on my keyboard looking at your 262xp pics lol

1992, week 10, saw number 121 I'm thinking that's right around the time Husqvarna switched from KS cylinders to Mahle, and started using the smaller venturi 120 carburetor. It would be interesting to find out what is under the hood of your saw!

I'm drooling on my keyboard looking at your 262xp pics lol

Thanks It sure has been a pleasure to own. I guess I bought it early in 92. I was thinking I had bought it in 91 but I was wrong lol

I’ll take the hood off tomorrow and post some more pics.

Some good stuff there :)
What Macs you got on that table behind the red cup?
I had to look at the pic. I cleaned the table a bit, but there's a 1-70, 44, 2 or 3 Mac 250's , 3-25, and a few Homies, C-51, 1050 I think, and another C series. I really must do inventory.. I'm in Eastern Washington, what part of PNW are you in?
Found these pics in one of my wood books. Kinda coolIMG_20180911_204528.jpg IMG_20180911_204404.jpg

I had to look at the pic. I cleaned the table a bit, but there's a 1-70, 44, 2 or 3 Mac 250's , 3-25, and a few Homies, C-51, 1050 I think, and another C series. I really must do inventory.. I'm in Eastern Washington, what part of PNW are you in?
Found these pics in one of my wood books. Kinda coolView attachment 674421 View attachment 674422
Great pics btw. Very cool to see pictures of loggers using the kind of saws that so many of us collect.

Latest posts

Back