One link too short?! MS460 bar and chain fit issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From my experience...

84 DL for a 24" bar (Still calls it a 25") and 7 pin rim
85DL fir 24" bar and 8 pin rim.

85DL likely would work on a 7pin as well, I've never gotten past maybe 1/2 way out on the adjuster screw

I run 24" on most of my saws, to include 2 460s.

I set up a Remy SL-55 with an 18” x 7/16”.

Slip bar/chain/rim on as an assembly.
[emoji6]
9c231442f7fda8d5bb1e0fc06e2225ad.jpg

Same here for me with the exact combination the OP has.

I think you nailed it. It is an 8 pin sprocket with a diameter of about 41 mm. A 7 pin sprocket I looked at online has a diameter of 35.5 mm. THAT difference would be enough to make the chain fit. Follow up question: is it better (cheaper) to buy a new sprocket, or start buying 25” chains? Thanks for the answers!!

It takes 5 seconds to take a Rim drive off & 5 seconds to put the rim drive back on.

Figure out what you’d rather deal with: 84dl is more common, but obviously 85dl exist also.

I would pull the rim and put it on as one unit. I’m guessing after a few hours of use it will be stretched enough to squeeze it on and off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know! But I’ve never had this issue before and I don’t have any other 24” chains to measure against to check the length. So frustrating. I want to return the chain for being defective, but I want to be sure it’s the chain that’s defective and not me...
How can you say the chain is defective 84 DL's is 84 Dl's if the supplier swaps your chaln for a 84 link chain you will still be at square one some time back Oregon marketed a bar (Lo Pro) requiring a 55 DL chain according to the bar stamping but the least #of DL's chain that would fit was 56DL's put an extra link in & go use it like you stole it :blob2:

After all the smoke and dust settles, when making new bars up to fit older saws its common to place the heel of the bar up against a common bench grinder and remove up to 1/4" if necessary to make it fit an special application. Have also done this on a few instances just like the OP`s and it gives one the option of running a chain with two different drive link lengths, both the 84 and the 85 will now work on the same bar.

Back