Picked up an Allwood Oak Series Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lknchoppers

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I picked up an Allwood Oak Series Splitter this past Friday from a member here (cheyenne19). I drove 8 hours and we met in Jackson, TN for a very smooth transaction. Split a cord of wood just getting used to the machine, nice not having to pickup those big rounds anymore. Splits were pushed into my skidsteer bucket making handling a breeze. The work height of the machine is great and the log table really works well. I used the 4 way to bust a bunch of red and white oak. I think this machine will make splitting much more productive and enjoyable.

20180907_110303.jpg 20180907_110313.jpg

That is one heavy duty splitter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It was worth the 16 hour round trip for me to go get it. I have had some 24" diameter oak rounds on the log lift and the machine barely moved when it picks the round up. There is a leg you drop into place where the log table is and then you crank up the jack until it's level and secure. I'm glad I waited until I found the right splitter and didn't settle for something else. I think it will pay for itself pretty quick. it's starts on the first pull like my other Honda powered splitter, it does have electric start but I probably won't use that unless I need it.

Hope you got a good deal on it. I hated mine and returned it. Poorly made and designed, wouldn't split a lot of pieces I tried to send through it. There are way better alternatives out there for sure. For most people it probably works fine, but it didn't for me.

Hope you got a good deal on it. I hated mine and returned it. Poorly made and designed, wouldn't split a lot of pieces I tried to send through it. There are way better alternatives out there for sure. For most people it probably works fine, but it didn't for me.
What did you end up going with?

I gave Bobby at ALLWOOD a call to talk to him how these splitters are shipped. More specifically what pressure they set the Prince Relief Valve at when they ship. He knew my machine and the original purchaser by name. Anyway they usually leave the Prince valves set at factory spec unless the customer wants them cranked up to split tougher wood. I adjusted the Relief Valve in a full turn per Bobby's instruction and threw some 30" knotty red and white oak crotches at it with the 4 way about half way up and it had no problems busting everything so far. I split about a cord of various sizes red oak and white oak. The log lift and the log table really are setup nice on this machine. I'll continue to see how it does with different cuts of wood but so far I am very satisfied with this unit.

So what was the problem? The force was too weak? Are the hydraulics inferior or just not tuned properly on the ALLWOOD splitters? Construction looks very similar.
I had several design problems with mine. From it not splitting stuff to the oil getting so hot to not the right recharge on the motor that I requested as I ordered, to design flaws in the cooler that was installed and how it was controlled. The tank wasn't baffled right or even at all (been so long ago) as oil wasn't circulating as it should. The breaking point was the lack of customer service. All I got was excuses, had a funeral to go do, was sick...blah blah blah. I had issues with mine and he wasn't there to address them. He even requested my phone records, which I sent to him, and then was given another excuse why he didn't get back to me.

I hope you have better luck than I did. Hit me up in a PM if you want to know more. I had some other things go on, but those were the bigger ones.

Back