Firewood stack base?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snap

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Curious what people use as a base for their firewood stacks.

The soil holds too much moisture here to start right out on the ground with the firewood. The bottom row would all need to be disposable.

I've used bases made of 2x4 runners but they've run out of useful life after a few years so that would more than a few bucks for take replacement.

I've noticed wood pallets free for the taking lately but their construction isn't convincing for the amount of weight being applied or the manner in which they would be loaded. It seems that the face boards would be needing to carry the brunt of the weight due to the lack of interior vertical runners in each panel.

I just use oak wood pallets as they are easy to come by for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use whatever pallets I can scrounge. Sometimes I use pallets around the outside and branches in the center.

Cinder blocks. I use 18" long splits and space the blocks 14" apart. Air moves under and around everything. Pretty cheap to scrounge and they last forever.

I have a fence company just down the road and they bring in loads of used fence panels and there always lots of used treated 4x4's they are glad to give away.

I use concrete blocks with pine cross members, I didn't think a wood base was good for firewood like pallets. I always read that anything but "wood" was the way to go but I'm not the one to ask, I'm still learning.

Free used treated 4x4's

t83net.jpg

I like and use the cinder block idea my only issue is that i put boards across the top of mine and my wood area isn’t even so over time they settle and lean then I have to jack up a board an inch or slide thin boards or shim under till it’s back straight.. I don’t mind but it doesn’t look the best with wood jammed all under them ha

Pallets on top of concrete blocks. Getting the pallets well up off the ground like that does will make them last a long time. Plus keep the bottom of the stack dry. You could even put some plastic down on the ground first - that will eliminate even more moisture.

The local concrete place here has a boneyard - I can get all the blocks I would ever want for $0.50 each.

I would be cautious about acquiring plastic pallets. Like milk crates or beer kegs, if they are marked, they are the property of that company. Hardwood pallets here are free and very easy to source. They only problem is that they are often different sizes. Use them a year, cut them up in the spring and burn them in the shop stove.

Back