Stihl 036 Makeover

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lightj12

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I picked up an 036 a couple years ago to donate to a family property and it has now become one of my favorite saws. So far I've replaced the oil line (PITA), upgraded to the MS 360 clutch, removed the base gasket and given it muffler mod. It's got some grunt for a smaller saw and is very versital. I also retrofitted an 044 3/4 wrap handle to fit this saw and installed OEM handle wraps (PITA #2), and installed the double-dog kit. I think that I'm going to keep this saw now.

Welded tab @ end of handle to facilitate the 036 mounting bolt configuration:
2016-05-03 20.09.57.jpg

Reinforced underside of handle:
2016-05-03 20.09.48.jpg

Wrap handle installation; back bolted plastic elbow to handle and screwed assembly tank per 036 bolt layout.

2016-05-24 18.53.28.jpg

Reinforced handle under saw:
2016-05-24 18.54.08.jpg

Muffler mod. Enlarged stock opening and drilled new hole with Husqvarna deflector & screen. Used stainless rivets here for minimal bulk (tight fit) and less chance of losing hardware outside or inside of muffler.
2016-05-24 18.53.48.jpg
Completed saw ready for use:
2016-05-24 18.54.49.jpg

I might have to top it off with a Cannon Super-Mini bar; it just doesn't stop. Thanks for looking.

I must admit that makes mine with a 20" bar look like a shrimp. I also added the outer spikes and lined them up. They seem to come in handy during noodle cutting the big rounds. These are nice saws. If my 361 ever gives up, I just pick up the 036 and lose almost nothing.

I leave my 036 set up with a 16" bar with and full chisel chain. For limbing I grab the Dolmar 421 or Shindaiwa 488. For large bucking and felling I use the MS460. For bucking mid sized softwoods, though that 036 is really a perfect saw. And, if I need it to, it'll do the job of any of my other saws.

Looks like I am missing the air filter housing grommet -thanks Mad Professor; there's a grommet fixed to the carb as well -thought that was the only one. This saw is set up with a 20" bar; power band is pretty much maxed out with bar buried so I'll keep it as is. The double dogs are basically for aesthetics but will come in handy when needed; they are not a whole lot bigger than the stock single dog. I use my MS260 for limbing and smaller work. As mentioned, this saw will do the work of the 046 0r 260 when I need it.

Your saw and AF will thank you. Looks like a 25" bar to me? I like the chain catch but double dogs are not needed on a 036.

I love my 036 too, almost as light as my 026 and will do when my 038s are not in reach. Probably my most go to saw for anything less than tiny or big ( big is relative on the east coast).

How about some better pics on the muf mod?

I extended the sprocket side tab on the 044 handle as shown; this can also be down by fabricating a splice plate or other. The handle sits a little tight to the safety brake handle but it is still operational. If you have a 044 3/4 wrap handle on hand you can experiment with it.

I extended the sprocket side tab on the 044 handle as shown; this can also be down by fabricating a splice plate or other. The handle sits a little tight to the safety brake handle but it is still operational. If you have a 044 3/4 wrap handle on hand you can experiment with it.
Cool thanks, was going to pick up a cheap huztl one to try, have had a bit of a fiddle with my 044 half wrap and it seemed ok

The saw in this post has only been run with a 20" bar as pictured. I'm in agreement with using a 044/440 for bigger wood; very similar in size and weight.

Latest posts

Back