MM and Tuning Service

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im in the area and everytime i say muffler mod or remove the limiters on my saw they act like im the devil and stuck my hand in holy water LOL....Best to learn to do it your self its not that hard....learn to tune your saw first......

That’s comforting to know was, hoping to drop some saws off this week. Getting ready to head to NC and don’t have time to do it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not sure where everybody is located, but you might be able to find a member that is in route to give you a hand. The other option is finding a logger or firewooder that spends spends a lot of time with a bunch of saw time.

A dealer I don’t believe can legally modify any epa equipment (carb limiters).

Never kept them from selling me anything but they wont discuss it....

I’m not sure where everybody is located, but you might be able to find a member that is in route to give you a hand. The other option is finding a logger or firewooder that spends spends a lot of time with a bunch of saw time.

A dealer I don’t believe can legally modify any epa equipment (carb limiters).
yep i heard they can be fined or something.....

The epa likes to hide a few loopholes and will lie about their existence.
You can still do anything you want to an engine, legally, for hobby or racing.
And one of my hobbies just happens to be cutting firewood from storm blow down.

Well that happens to be exactly where I’m headed is to cut up storm blow down just wanted the saws to be tip top.

When you say you dont have time to tune after a muffler mod? It literally takes longer to warm the saw up then to tune it. Generally in my experience your saw will be richer after the mod due to the increased flow through the carb and the jets giving more fuel. So if your saw was boarderline lean before it should be dang close to perfect after a proper muffler mod.i have yet to see one get leaner after a muff mod. It shouldnt take anymore them 5 minites max to tune one. If tuning one is hard for you or take a hour please dont ever get one ported and they usually need almost daily adjustment after porting.

When you say you dont have time to tune after a muffler mod? It literally takes longer to warm the saw up then to tune it. Generally in my experience your saw will be richer after the mod due to the increased flow through the carb and the jets giving more fuel. So if your saw was boarderline lean before it should be dang close to perfect after a proper muffler mod.i have yet to see one get leaner after a muff mod. It shouldnt take anymore them 5 minites max to tune one. If tuning one is hard for you or take a hour please dont ever get one ported and they usually need almost daily adjustment after porting.

I don’t have the time to do the MM, so I was hoping to drop the saws off on a lunch break so the saws would be ready for out of town, but it’s looking like I’ll run em stock.

Ahh.... What state or area are you in? Many members are very helpful and if they are like me they would charge a small minimal fee per saw to inspect mod and tune them. For me it be like 50 per saw. To cover my time materials used ie tube/pipe deflector screen brazing rod or silver solider or stainless welding rod if its on a makita/dolmer or stihl with the new stainless muffs.

You can still do anything you want to an engine, legally, for hobby or racing.

No this is not true. As a former hazard tree falling contractor (falling module) you most certainly can not do certain things to your saw. The federal government can and will inspect your saw to make sure it has a spark screen and that the muffler has not be modified. Cal Fire "is aware" of this issue but I have not heard of them inspecting any saws. They may have and I just don't know about it.

This is an extension of the requirement to run a stock spark arrestor on all saws and other internal combustion engines used on federal land. Most people cutting firewood on federal land are hobbyists. Plus, if you start a fire (because of a spark screen delete or muffler mod) and can't put it out you will likely be billed for suppression costs. You may end up in prison.

If you run a saw you should know how to tune it. My personal use goes from sea level to 8000'. The screwdriver supplied with the saw is all you need. (I have never owned a tach so I have no opinion on that). Changes in fuel mix, fuel type, elevation, mix oil may all require a retune. As I have said before a saw should be retuned whenever it needs it. My chaps have a pocket for a screwdriver and scrench and there are these tools hanging from my Dolmar can too.

Ahh.... What state or area are you in? Many members are very helpful and if they are like me they would charge a small minimal fee per saw to inspect mod and tune them. For me it be like 50 per saw. To cover my time materials used ie tube/pipe deflector screen brazing rod or silver solider or stainless welding rod if its on a makita/dolmer or stihl with the new stainless muffs.

I’m in Tampa, Fl

No this is not true. As a former hazard tree falling contractor (falling module) you most certainly can not do certain things to your saw. The federal government can and will inspect your saw to make sure it has a spark screen and that the muffler has not be modified. Cal Fire "is aware" of this issue but I have not heard of them inspecting any saws. They may have and I just don't know about it.

This is an extension of the requirement to run a stock spark arrestor on all saws and other internal combustion engines used on federal land. Most people cutting firewood on federal land are hobbyists. Plus, if you start a fire (because of a spark screen delete or muffler mod) and can't put it out you will likely be billed for suppression costs. You may end up in prison.

If you run a saw you should know how to tune it. My personal use goes from sea level to 8000'. The screwdriver supplied with the saw is all you need. (I have never owned a tach so I have no opinion on that). Changes in fuel mix, fuel type, elevation, mix oil may all require a retune. As I have said before a saw should be retuned whenever it needs it. My chaps have a pocket for a screwdriver and scrench and there are these tools hanging from my Dolmar can too.

I know how to tune a saw, I guess I should have left tuning out of the title and just inquired about local MM service. Again the issue is getting the exhaust opened up on multiple saws as I am pressed for time before I leave. I could probably do the MM myself but I would rather trade $$ for my peace of mind and their experience and time.

Learn how to read. I stated two exceptions which are hobby use or racing.

Learn how to read. I stated two exceptions which are hobby use or racing.
I know how to tune a saw, I guess I should have left tuning out of the title and just inquired about local MM service. Again the issue is getting the exhaust opened up on multiple saws as I am pressed for time before I leave. I could probably do the MM myself but I would rather trade $$ for my peace of mind and their experience and time.

Got it. I certainly would not worry about getting more power from your saw when helping in a disaster. BTW good on you for helping. Run those saws stock and be safe. (Eat some pulled pork for me).

Got it. I certainly would not worry about getting more power from your saw when helping in a disaster. BTW good on you for helping. Run those saws stock and be safe. (Eat some pulled pork for me).

I can’t say it’s completely altruistic, as I am getting paid by my company but in the name of efficiency I just wanted a little more pep to my saws. But dependability does take precedence in this situation.

Back