Salsa

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuinrearview

Red saw lover
Reaction score
Just the beginning of the tomatillo harvest. We like our verde, but do red salsa too. For the verde we do onion, pepper, tomatillo, and garlic. The cilantro goes into the blender after that is boiled and salt is added. Then back in the pot on a little hot oil to "proof". If you've never proofed a simple salsa you'll immediately recognize it when your kitchen smells like a Mexican restaurant.
21958.jpeg

I'm new to making Salsa (2 years now), but already it blows away anything from the grocery store. I have neighbors that grow more Tomatoes then they can use, and give me 1 or 2 five gallons buckets every year. I get real busy when the tomatoes show up. Fried potatoes never tasted so good. :)

I'm new to making Salsa (2 years now), but already it blows away anything from the grocery store. I have neighbors that grow more Tomatoes then they can use, and give me 1 or 2 five gallons buckets every year. I get real busy when the tomatoes show up. Fried potatoes never tasted so good. :)
We make some red salsa, but the bulk of our tomatoes goes to pasta sauce now. We roast the peppers and garlic. It's a ton of work but so satisfying.

I wasn't a part of the first round with the tomatillos pictured above. My lady and her mom did that. They claim that they made it too hot. Doubtful:). I'm taking a half pint to work for use over eggs tomorrow. My mouth is already watering.

I got a small batch of my recipe in tonight, with lots of jalapenos picked last night. We're putting a nice dent in the crop now.
I'm not used to how sweet garden fresh tomatillos are. It's quite a different taste than with store bought ones.
20180828_205130.jpg

Love making fresh salsa but never thought about cooking and canning it. Can you explain your process?

We use the water bath canner. Boil the jars, lids, and rings. Add a little acid (lemon juice) to each jar, fill jars and seal. Put back in the canner and boil hard for 25-45 min depending on your jar size. Remove and let sit to seal. My directions are purposely vague because there are lots of variables. The important items are clean jars and adequate canning(boiling) time. There are lots of articles on safe canning practices. The results are shelf stable but tomatillo salsa is pretty perishable once opened, even under refridgeration.

Last of the tomatillos. We roasted everything instead of boiling this time, and used some over-ripe serranos for the red flakes.
15372257661913875753005579620013.jpg

I made and finished up just under 2 quarts of Salsa. Not a lot of tomatoes this year, but anything is better then nothing. Heaped some on the fried potatoes this morning. That and some Homemade sausages gets the day going in the right direction. Yumm...

Back