Husqvarna closing Georga plant in 2019

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mycrossover

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
https://wgxa.tv/news/local/husqvarna-facility-in-telfair-county-closing-in-2019

The jist of the article is that the brand is under performing and they are are switching to robotic lawn mowers and electric tools.
Does that mean that Hudqvarna/Red Max gas chain saws, string trimmers, etc. will be gone? Will stihl have the higher end to themselves?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

No, I believe that plant produces Poulan, some low end Husqvarna, and maybe a few other low end brands. This may spell the end for Poulan gas power products.

As I see it most in the suburbs no longer do their own yard work, and those that do can now get by with the new battery powered stuff. Coupled with the fact the vast majority of people are no longer mechanically inclined enough to care for gas powered equipment, the green movement, Chinese products flooding the market "which are just as good or better than the low end name brand stuff" battery powered tools are only logical for the new age suburbanite.

The pro products are here to stay.

No, I believe that plant produces Poulan, some low end Husqvarna, and maybe a few other low end brands. This may spell the end for Poulan gas power products.

As I see it most in the suburbs no longer do their own yard work, and those that do can now get by with the new battery powered stuff. Coupled with the fact the vast majority of people are no longer mechanically inclined enough to care for gas powered equipment, the green movement, Chinese products flooding the market "which are just as good or better than the low end name brand stuff" battery powered tools are only logical for the new age suburbanite.

The pro products are here to stay.

Assembly of Euro-spec McCulloch's, which are at the very bottom end of Husqvarna lineups, has been shifting from Italy to China for a few years now. It wouldn't surprise me if Husqvarna were to have Poulan's assembled in the same factory: that's what Stihl and Yamabiko are already doing with the various MS180's and SRM222's. I think this affects us only marginally.

However I've been seeing a definite shift in Husqvarna high-grade equipment here I don't like. I recently saw a Huskie branded tiller with an unbranded engine which, upon closer inspection, turned out to be made by "RATO Technology" a Chinese firm which according to their own website manufactures "... general purposed gasoline engines...". Same price as the previous model, almost identical but equipped with a Briggs & Stratton engine. Once upon a time Huskie reserved these stunts for McCulloch and their cheaper brands and I wonder what they are up to...

I hope Husky stays around, I am a Stihl guy but competition makes Stihl better along with Husky.

Husqvarna has zero financial issues. They are just shuffling production around in an attempt to make their lower end brands/models more palatable, especially to the big box stores which order these low end lawnmowers and chainsaws by the 20ft container.

It's also other stuff they own but under a different name they are having to shuffle around also, low sales on some items, not just outdoor power equipment.

Steve
I think there are something like 10 or 15 brands in the Husqvarna group; Husqvarna, Red Max, Poulan, Dixon, Roper, Jonserd, off the top of my head.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

They make (remake) incredible motocross bikes. But I think they are afiliated with KTM?

The old Husqvarna group has long since been broken up:

The firearms division was closed down in 1989 or 1990
The sewing machines are now owned by SVP (owners of the Singer brand); still very popular as Husqvarna-Viking and pretty much the only alternative to Japanese sewing machines in the high end segment.
The motorcycle division was sold to Cagiva of Italy in 1986 and has since changed hands numerous times and are now made in Austria by KTM.
The bicycles are just a licensed brand.
The power products division... you can find anything you want by doing a site search! :D

Yea, I remember when I started racing Motocross in 1975. Honda/Yamaha/Kawi/Suzuki were the bikes most of us were buying, but I had a few friends who still rode the Huskys. Nice craftsmanship on those old Swedish machines!!

Gardena AG is one of the companies that may be shuffled around.

Steve

They make good, very durable gardening tools. One of the few companies that give Fiskars a serious competition.

However lately I've noticed even old time dealerships have issues with stocks and have stuff on backorder for months. Seems Husqvarna is doing one of the usual "reorganization"... :rolleyes:

I have about 8 basket cases of Husqvarna dirtbikes plus all the new and used parts to keep them racing. Soon there all up for sale.

Today it’s called scaling down or restructuring. It happens to a lot of companies. It gives them time to regroup. Of course it costs too much to do business here. Didn’t take them long to figure that out. But we have more skilled labor here.

The rate we’re losing manufacturing jobs time to change trades. I went through hell in the workforce. I was a class A machine tool builder and rebuilder. I was on top of the pay charts with tool makers. Back in the early 80’s that was good money but I never sat back fat dumb and happy there wasn’t extra money but my bills were paid, every company hired and used me to get there backlog of work out the door, I finally told them when interviewed not to hire me to get there work out then let me go. Don’t waste my time, these companies closed there doors once there work was done. I went from sinking ship to sinking ship. I put an application in then go back and they were out of business. Go figure.

Con diesel who built 155 mm howitzers for the us army had a list of ten guys for the assembly job. I was number 6. They had no clue was to what I could do. They finally went through the five above me. I was put me in coach. I was building six gear units a shift. My last night there knowing I was done the next day, I built 17 gear units in eight hours. I wanted to slap the candy azzes who weren’t working. My boss cried when he had to let me go. Assembly is a process and if you set it up right you can build stuff fast as popcorn. I was born and bread to build machines it’s in my genes.

Note, I was happier in the woods cutting trees. If your a full time logger Godbless you your a lucky man or women.

Latest posts

Back