Poulan Pro 260 will not idle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Farms Jr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have repaired many chainsaws in my day, but this one is a doosy. I rebuilt the carburetor and no matter what I did it would only run at high speed. Set both High and Low jets at 1.5 turns out, and it would run really fast. Trying to lower the idle screw(counterclockwise) the chainsaw would continue to run fast. Turning the Slow speed jet clockwise to lean out the gas would cause it to shut off. Adjusting the High speed jet was no problem. After many, many, many, attempts I gave up, bought a new carburetor and put that on it, and again got the same exact result. Mind you, I have repaired many, many, 2 cycle machines and never came across anything like this? The compression is good, and it starts very easy. I just can't get this machine to IDLE! Any ideas?

Only 2 things I know of that cause this. 1) Air leak somewhere. 2) throttle linkage problem not letting the throttle close all the way. (bent or mis-assembled linkage, a broken/bad return spring, etc)

Only 2 things I know of that cause this. 1) Air leak somewhere. 2) throttle linkage problem not letting the throttle close all the way. (bent or mis-assembled linkage, a broken/bad return spring, etc)
Checked linkages, all settings and adjustments OK. Air Leak? I'll have to take a closer look? Gaskets? Seals? Maybe I am not looking close enough?

I actually acquired a free 036 Pro once because the owner had this exact problem. Turns out, after a good bit of investigation, he had mis-assembled the rear handle/trigger assembly. Wasn't obvious at first....took me a bit to figure it out. Tore it apart and re-assembled it correct. Idled perfect! Owner wouldn't let me return it to him....he was so mad at it that he didn't want to see it again....and he already had purchased a new saw!!!

Keep backing the low out until it slows down. Some of those Poulan/Husqvarna clamshell carbs are something like 2-1/4 turns out.
I just cleaned up a Zama carb on my Husqvarna. The shop manual suggests 2 turns as the starting point for both needles. The OP started at 11/2 so you may well be right. I fiddled with mine until it idled after having to return to 2 a couple of times to get it started. I am not sure where I am now but I found the sweet spot and I am not touching it. The manual says to set Hi for 12500 and I have read here that it should 4 cycle until it is under load. Not sure about that adjustment. If I go with 12500 I need a tach. I was looking at the DTI TT20K but it is 100 bucks. I have a few other motors to use it on but it won't get a lot of use.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back