Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just finished my 046.
aa6c58587d36eba02375429ce7ac69fd.jpg
f94de2a640cd3dd5d8bc4fd39b6f39a5.jpg
ad6ae30a16ab7839197f2440f2b308e4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So one of my better customers walks in with this saw and asks if I might be able to get it up and running in the next 4-5 days. It seems his brother is not feeling up to snuff so he's hitting the road to cut firewood for the upcoming winter.
Did I mention that this customer is 86 years young..
I told him I would look at it, but he really should take my Husky 61 cuz it's lighter, oils itself, and starts easy. Brand new b & C.. Anyway, this what he brought in...IMG_20180921_193109.jpg IMG_20180921_193127.jpg IMG_20180921_193151.jpg

Ok I feel stupid (not a new feeling btw) for bringing this up, like maybe there's some obvious thing Im missing, but anyways....

So a lot of McCulloch flywheel covers were obviously made to be used across different models ... but with the 1-85 I just got that has the starter assembly on the right-side (instead of left) the inside of the flywheel cover still has remnants of where a starter assembly would attach. Does anyone know what was up with this? Did McCulloch just tweak and repurpose their molds when manufacturing? Was it to give people the option to drill their own holes and put a starter on the left?
Example of what Im talking about with the 1-85:
20180921_205334.jpg
Another example of this type of thing would be the flywheel covers where there's just a blank space instead of where an on/off switch would go on other models, but theyd leave the raised lettering that reads RUN and STOP.

So one of my better customers walks in with this saw and asks if I might be able to get it up and running in the next 4-5 days. It seems his brother is not feeling up to snuff so he's hitting the road to cut firewood for the upcoming winter.
Did I mention that this customer is 86 years young..
I told him I would look at it, but he really should take my Husky 61 cuz it's lighter, oils itself, and starts easy. Brand new b & C.. Anyway, this what he brought in...View attachment 676138 View attachment 676139 View attachment 676140
That is a beauty!

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

There were other models of the "Super Series" saws/engines that have a left hand starter. Most likely answer is the flywheel cover has been replaced with one from a later saw. If you look closely you will find the flywheel cover is the same on the 795L, SP105/125, and several of the kart engines, even the later two man saws like the 940.

McCulloch also supplied 795L power heads to at least 5 different manufacturers to product cut off/chop saws. The Target Quickie is probably the best known, lots of folks today still refer to any make as a "Quickie" saw.

DSC01079.JPG

Mac 10 kart engine.

DSCN3060.jpg

For what it's worth, 1-85

McCulloch 1-85 24-4.jpg

Mark

There were other models of the "Super Series" saws/engines that have a left hand starter. Most likely answer is the flywheel cover has been replaced with one from a later saw. If you look closely you will find the flywheel cover is the same on the 795L, SP105/125, and several of the kart engines, even the later two man saws like the 940.

McCulloch also supplied 795L power heads to at least 5 different manufacturers to product cut off/chop saws. The Target Quickie is probably the best known, lots of folks today still refer to any make as a "Quickie" saw.

View attachment 676371

Mac 10 kart engine.

View attachment 676373

For what it's worth, 1-85

View attachment 676374

Mark
Thanks for the answer Mark

Your Quickie and 1-85 are most excellent:rock: Im more than a little jealous

Got the idea over the weekend to put a piece of plastic between the engine and that gasket (?) below the fuel tank to help cover the ports while cleaning the 1-85. With past saws Id been stuffing rags in there which wasnt really effective at keeping the dirt out. Maybe this is common technique for some but Im figuring all this stuff out on my own so I was pretty pleased with it :)
20180922_105545.jpg

Recommendations on cleaning the orange stained parts on old macs? So far Ive only found acetone to work well but obviously it also removes some paint especially in weak/thin spots.
20180926_045257.jpg

Kerosene is what I usually use. Don't remember if it ends up removing the paint, I don't believe I've ever had a problem with it though... Purple power on the other hand will work good to remove paint. Yeah, I found out the hard way. Had to do some polishing work to bring back the shine on the clutch cover on my Mac 250. Won't use that stuff on saws again.

Latest posts

Back