Didn't ask for a deposit on custom slab table now being ignored.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ekor

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So my line of work is Custom furniture & normally require 50% deposit before I begin any custom piece, but I slipped up and trusted a client & made a custom desk / table. I did everything from cut the slab remove & the bark to putting the finish on even cut & welded the steel base.
He was ecstatic when I showed him after I finished unfortunately he lives an hour away & assumed I'd be delivering it even though I stated from the beginning I don't deliver so after I told him he was going to need to pick it up he stopped responding.

I know I can sell it somewhere else but the price for a table is much lower than the price of having a table custom made. Plus it's the principle he had someones work hard on something just to not pick it up.
Should I just take it as a reminder to never begin without a deposit and everything in writing or is there anything I can do? Court fees I'm guessing would be more than I would get, but I do have text and emails from him stating what he wanted and the agreed on price.

In LA CA you will never get your money even if you win your case. After you receive your writ collecting is a whole another matter. You should be able to get close to what you originally wanted from your client. Welcome to California. I have had this debate more than once. If you do not take any chances you will not have any business. I some times sell bundled wood when I have a great supply of wood. People will call wanting 300 to 600 bundles and will I give them the best price promising they will buy at least 3,000 during the season. So I start making bundles for them and then they back out after taking 200. It is a no win no win. What do you do. Limit your exposure and take a good deposit or make only pieces that you think will have high demand. Also some times you have to ignore the problem and arrange to deliver if that is what it takes. Thanks

Yeah...I'd ask if he'll prepay and accept delivery. Or call a couple delivery companies for him and say "I found somebody who will deliver this to you for $200".

Or cut your losses and sell it. I'd tell him you have another buyer (you do...you just don't know who that is yet...) & he has until a set date (give at least 3 weeks) to pay and either accept delivery or pick it up. Don't let on it will sell for less as a "retail" piece or he'll just send someone to pick it up for him when it is listed as such.

An hour away is not that far. I would offer to deliver it if they come in within a week and pay in full. Just make it happen. If they don't come sell it. Always get a 25% to 50% deposit and have a contract for them to sign that they understand they loose their deposit if it's not picked up in 30 days of completion.

Latest posts

Back