trying to get an old Craftsman 2.3 chainsaw running

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ugabulldog

Reaction score
It has been sitting for probably 20 yrs but looks to be in great shape. It takes 8oz oil to 1 gal gas. Can I use 10% ethanol gas? I found owners maual online and it does not mention, was made before ethanol I guess. I always but gas from busiest station in town (which is also newset) and feel that gas from here is better than ethanol free that has been sitting in storage tank for who knows how long, as most people do not use. Will I be ok to use and try to get 'er going again?

Yup, pick ur poison. Ethanol is guaranteed to give u problems eventually or maybe your e-free is old. I'd go e-free, somebody must buy the e-free gas if the station continues to carry it. Ethanol is mean no matter how much stabil/star tron/sea foam u use.

Judging by your join date, you must have thought about getting that saw running a few years ago?

I'm leary of buying fuels from stations that may have old fuel too, but I would risk that over e10. Buying the Trufuel type premix bottle from a store might be the best option if you don't plan to use it much.

Judging by your join date, you must have thought about getting that saw running a few years ago?

I'm leary of buying fuels from stations that may have old fuel too, but I would risk that over e10. Buying the Trufuel type premix bottle from a store might be the best option if you don't plan to use it much.

I'll add to that -
Get a 1 gallon can of 40:1 pre-mix now. You will know for sure that you have good fuel while you are trying to get the thing running.

(I would do this) - Add just under 1oz of 2-stroke oil to the above gallon to get the mix to 32:1.

While we are on the subject, Truefuel comes 40:1 and 50:1. My old Red Max string trimmer calls for 32:1. I have always used pump gas, 2 cycle oil and Stabil and did not have problems but after my Husky chain saw got gummed up, I have decided to feed my tools a better diet. My usage is low enough for canned gas. Do I buy Truefuel 4 cycle gas and add the oil at 32:1? or just use 40:1. I have read that the carb might need readjusting if I go that route. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

There are two schools of thought on that. 1) Modern oil is better than when your trimmer was made, so it requires less oil. 2) It's better to be safe than sorry. Somewhere in the middle is another option.

I'm glad BK mentioned it. I thought about it but don't know anything about the canned stuff. I've only seen qts of it in a couple stores and don't even know which brand it was.

Buy the gas with the oil in it already. I never will use E10. (I dont have to, they dont ship that corn crap up here! ) pure-gas.org will tell where there might be a better place to buy e-free. hell, if that e-free in your local station is under a year old, use that. (40:1) Its a weed wacker, it will be fine.

post up the exact model #

been at rest for 20 years you say. Any old fuel left in the gas tank and carb is molasses consistency most likely.

It should give a pop promise if you squirt little bit in the carb throat. (if it has a good spark plug and good fire/with 100 psi compression)
It will need all the fuel lines replaced and if it runs it will need a carb or a kit.

Back