New guy rant and porting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which is preferred

• Thumbnail

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Full image

Votes: 10 76.9%

• Total voters

Ccarignan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
320DEF14-B2D4-42E2-BB3E-909FE6375319.jpeg 5880AF26-3D97-48C4-B133-B5E863D3E65E.jpeg 0F9CC24C-92C3-46E3-AEE2-2EE692DA97FA.jpeg E4192F97-AAC5-4647-BB24-09F5BA7D82CD.jpeg A2CC152F-9ABE-4484-9A1C-2E890B43FF84.jpeg hey, pretty new to actually using the form but figured I should share and give thanks for the knowledge available on this form.

I picked up a box of saw parts a while back, 036 044 stuff. Sold most of it, kept a good 044 case and some scored cylinders. I have been planning to do a 44/46 topend build, try my hand at porting and have some fun putting a saw together. I have the parts in order and they’re starting to come in (build thread soon-er or later). I just posted on the baileys forum asking about the quality of meteor piston and cylinder kits.

Anyway, I promised porting so here is my first attempt at a pretty aggressive port (no timing numbers, just practicing with the dremel). The cylinder is an 044, want to try something similar to this for the 046 cylinder. Flame suit on, any feedback welcome.

Thumbnails preferred IF you insist on using a cell phone and not cropping the dead areas from the image.

Yes, uncropped phone photos and vertical videos have gotten annoying enough to go off about it..
My favorite (not) post was the time someone posted five frikkin images of a saw & bar, instead of just turning the damned phone 90 degrees and getting it in one frame, at the same resolution as the center fractions of vertical frames.

I'm on a pc with no web use caps, but for people on a limited plan of any sort, untrimmed photos with a lot of dead space just eat up folks usage plan for nothing.

Awesome first time work!

Your Fly side finger is too close to your upper. Leave more space next time. You need that small band of plating to hold the ring, but I actually think you’ll be ok.

Your Ex sides are beautiful. Y0ur roof is fugly. Try to make it a nice clean arch.

Thumbnails preferred IF you insist on using a cell phone and not cropping the dead areas from the image.

Yes, uncropped phone photos and vertical videos have gotten annoying enough to go off about it..
My favorite (not) post was the time someone posted five frikkin images of a saw & bar, instead of just turning the damned phone 90 degrees and getting it in one frame, at the same resolution as the center fractions of vertical frames.

I'm on a pc with no web use caps, but for people on a limited plan of any sort, untrimmed photos with a lot of dead space just eat up folks usage plan for nothing.

As well as cropping, changing the resolution of photos would be beneficial as well. There is no need for 4mb photos of your spark plug, unless you are trying to count the grains of carbon on the tip. If photos are kept to less than 1mb, they still are perfectly clear on a pc or phone, and use a lot less bandwidth when loading.

I think one or 2 full sized photos are fine in a post, but multiple shots should be thumbnails. jmho

As well as cropping, changing the resolution of photos would be beneficial as well. There is no need for 4mb photos of your spark plug, unless you are trying to count the grains of carbon on the tip. If photos are kept to less than 1mb, they still are perfectly clear on a pc or phone, and use a lot less bandwidth when loading.

I think one or 2 full sized photos are fine in a post, but multiple shots should be thumbnails. jmho
Possibly the best thing I've seen on here in a long time! There's no need for any photos over 1mb. :D

I didn’t raise the roof at all, but I definitely see where the transition from original roof to my widening could be smoother. Still need to chamfer the edges, just got excited and posted. Not sure on piston direction. I wasn’t going to flip it. I’ve heard mixed opinions on running it backwards. Any more info in that would be great.

If your lowering the jug you can get away with raising the exhaust a tiny bit. Leaving the factory finish at the roof lip makes it hard to cut a continuous even line. Some models benefit from leaving the exhaust low though, so make sure you feel good about your numbers before committing.
I think the benefit of running the piston backwards is a wider exhaust skirt and changing the ring pin location. Specific to a 440, IDK.

Possibly the best thing I've seen on here in a long time! There's no need for any photos over 1mb. :D
The cellular companies are nickel and diming the hell out of us with data and memory storage. The smallest picture size option in my camera settings is 4.7mb, and there are no functions in the editor for resizing pictures.

I’m not sure an 046 jug can go gasketless on a 44 case but I’ll do what I can to get the squish close to .020 or so. As for raising or lowering the exhaust, my understanding is that raising gives rpm at loss of torque and keeping them lower will keep the torque strong. As far as timing numbers, I’ll probably try to shoot for some I’ve seen floated around this site as reference, need to find those again and see what the jug is at in stock form.

The cellular companies are nickel and diming the hell out of us with data and memory storage. The smallest picture size option in my camera settings is 4.7mb, and there are no functions in the editor for resizing pictures.
We have satellite internet with a data cap here and poor cell service. Too many photos that size would kill our service pretty quick. Photo size I post is usually between 100-400 kb, but I use a camera not a phone.

Didn’t realize how much debate would happen over the photo poll haha. I just find it easier to take the photos with my phone and go right to the web with them... I’m on WiFi at work and home so usage rates hardly concern my decision on it.

You cant have any ring pin ride over a port. Most stihl pistons will have a pin that doesn't allow a piston to be run in original position with fingers. I used a 272 piston in the 2nd 046 jug pic you see. The pin is centered over intake.

That's why Brad is asking if you will flip slug.

I'm under the impression that a mirror finish is not desirable for the surface of an intake port? The high polish tends to grab the fuel mist??? Opinions on this please. Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Back