What is required by your go to saw to remain the one

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of late my little zomax has been my go to. It's really light, decent power, easy to start, and I can put it in the box on my work truck. In a month all of my bigger saws will be my go to saw.

Ported 241c ; 461R ... 16” 3/8 picco on the 241c ; 18”-32” 3/8 rs sqr/sqr or sqr/rnd on 461R ... 2 saw plan that’s served me well !

I’m going to be the odd guy. I go to the woods with no less then five saws but typically only end up running one or two. My MS210 cuts probably 70% of my wood. Extremely easy on fuel, starts easy, idles forever and cuts great with a 16” full chisel picco chain. I like a light saw and my MS210 has been fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fuel usage+time cutting verses what on the ground cut up when done. I don't mind it drinking fuel if it's cutting a hell of a lot of wood on that fuel fast. AND it's got to be reliable. So my go to has been an beat to piss 288xp with mods. I run a 8 pin on a 20" bar and put the 7 pin on if I need to use the 28" or 36". But she's old and likes to spit screws, so I'm slowly morphing a cs620 to play my go to role. At that point I'll keep the Biggers bars on the 288 and save the old girl for when I need her. Screws and all.

In the winter months my go to saw would have to have heated handles...so then it's my Dolmar 5105H.
Otherwise Echo 501P is a lightweight little powerhouse (now pulling regular 3/8 chisel) and is everything I seek in a saw.
When the work is either larger or smaller we'll select accordingly but 90% of the hours go on the above.

If/ when I go into the woods I take a Dolmar 7900/7910. Big enough for anything, light enough to use all day. Starts 3rd pull anytime/every time, 1/2 pull warm. Smooth, no tingly fingers, great handling.....and just plain to run!!!!! Fall, limb, buck in one saw.

It needs to start and run *every time,* and I need to be familiar with it. I’ve bent bars & rocked chains. No big deal, I can fix that. Preventative maintenance is exactly that. It also needs to be appropriate in size for the job at hand.

However, when I’m putting a hazard tree on the ground, or even just slashing brush along a fire line, it needs to get up and go, because it’s safety critical at that point. Antivibe, air filters, straight vs angled top handles, automatically tuning carburetors, all go out the window.

So I guess my go tos are 441s when I’m production cutting and my 044 comes out for fire season. There’s a good reason.

I want it to start.
Not Bog hard.
Good chain speed.
Not too heavy if I'm going deep into woods with it.
And on my end Keeping the chain religiously sharp.

Basically my pro mac 700 with a 18" bar. I have had a couple huskys and 1 stihl 440. At the end of the I still have a spot in my heart for old team yellow. Heck when I was looking for a milling saw I was trying to hunt for a 797 or 125.

My MS361 is my go-to machine. I love the narrow profile (as seen from the back). Starts religiously, keeps running all day. Quite light on the arms, as well as on the fuel. It's just the right balance of power and weight, and will happily run a 16" and 20" bar, and all the way up to 25" for cutting bigger stuff.
I just love it....
Only one caveat - the silicone rim around the air filter must be sealed with grease, otherwise it will let little chips of wood in...

Latest posts

Back