Bought stihl ms261-cm, buyers remorse?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I disagree. The 241 is very under appreciated. I can tell the difference in the weight in the two. I have a revised 261 on the way, so I'll do some side by side weight comparisons.

The reason I disagree, is because either one is the right choice. There is no loser in that comparison at all. Win/Win!

I don't know if I'd say it's under appreciated. There's a lot of guys out there singing its praises, which says a lot considering it's a $500+ 42cc saw.

If a guy is only gonna have one saw, I wouldn't recommend a 241 unless he lives on a slightly overgrown Christmas tree farm.

"AH" but you realise that that you have joined the ranks of the great unwashed never get a day off brigade :blob2::blob2:

My wife is also retired. We both enjoy being retired a great deal. All my days, are day's off. If I get bored enough, I have my "to do" list to work on.

I like to keep some things on hold, just so I can say I have things that need to get done.

My wife is also retired. We both enjoy being retired a great deal. All my days, are day's off. If I get bored enough, I have my "to do" list to work on.

I like to keep some things on hold, just so I can say I have things that need to dget done.
Enjoy after a lifetime of work it's good to be able to pick & choose I am 82 was compulsory retired at 60 reinstated 6months later for a further 5 years finished at contract end since then have serviced saws & logging kit for a commercial set up seem to have worked harder since stopping work Have had to ease up a bit due to pacemaker & 5 heart stents

The 241 likes the 3/8 Picco best in the hardwood we are cutting, our 026`s-MS260`s like 0325 the best but are more than capable of cutting with 3/8" chisel. I have two ported 026`s running 3/8" Stihl chisel on 18" bars, best saws for felling the 8 - 12" hardwood we are cutting lately.

I love my 261. You won't regret it.

I've got bitten by the try a bunch of different bars on it lately but it's just such a fun saw to run.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

What bar lengths do you have on them, & are you using Picco (lo-pro 3/8) on the 241 & .325 on the 261?
You can also run picco (3/8lp) on the 261 ... STIHL makes a 16” bar for that application ... you can get longer 18”+ from aftermarket but can be pricey ...

I don't know if I'd say it's under appreciated. There's a lot of guys out there singing its praises, which says a lot considering it's a $500+ 42cc saw.

If a guy is only gonna have one saw, I wouldn't recommend a 241 unless he lives on a slightly overgrown Christmas tree farm.
This! It's fine to praise a 241 or a top handle, but they're not the best choice for a 1 saw plan. No matter how much many of us can't wrap our head around 1 saw, there are plenty who only need 1.

This! It's fine to praise a 241 or a top handle, but they're not the best choice for a 1 saw plan. No matter how much many of us can't wrap our head around 1 saw, there are plenty who only need 1.

I never said its perfect for a one and only saw. But I see your point, a 261 with a 16" bar would be a highly capable one saw setup.

A 460 Rancher is only 3.7 horsepower, weighs 2 pounds more than a 261, and is not nearly as durable.

Latest posts

Back