Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prolly 2 cords of ash. I'm retrieving it from the woods and drying it out.

@KiwiBro recommends dumping your wood in the river to help it dry out faster (I guess you'd need some way of stopping it getting washed away). I can imagine how that might work by leaching out and diluting the woody moisture with more evaporable water perhaps. It might end up being the driest ash you've ever burned.

I hope you can retrieve most of it.

I was thinking, that's when you need a skidding winch, but that will work too :).

Today I decided to tackle a cherry lead that had been needing to come down for a while now. It had a branch that was half rotten and curved back and went through the crotch of a black locust, and it was pretty jammed in there. I've been wanting to climb it and drop the top of that branch above the crotch and then cut the other side and fell it. Well I didn't have an adult around so I just dropped it with a little help from the Japanese felling device(the Kubota). Ends up that I was able to pull it right through the crotch with the angle I dropped it, unfortunately it hung up in a small cluster go black locust. I blame @Cowboy254 for this as when I saw his picture I thought just pull it down if it doesn't come out :laugh:. Well guess what I got to do today, that's right, just pull it down. As luck would have it the skidding winch was not on my tractor and there wouldn't be time to hook it up, got to keep things moving and I have ropes as well as a pulley :yes:.
I even ran limby today, you can see him in a few of the pictures :laughing:.
Theres more pictures of the whole process in the link, quite a few pictures of how I cut without a mishap other than it hanging up which I knew was a possibility and wasn't really an issue to me.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/wZP3T1kKPJfg6KREA
Screen Shot 2018-09-29 at 12.11.19 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-09-29 at 12.11.45 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-09-29 at 12.12.17 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-09-29 at 12.12.52 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-09-29 at 12.13.17 AM.png
Here's the pull with the pulley, thanks full I have the tools I do :clap:.
Screen Shot 2018-09-29 at 12.25.15 AM.png
Look there's limby:lol:.
Screen Shot 2018-09-29 at 12.14.13 AM.png

Re: bar length on a 550 - Likely depends a lot on what wood you are cutting, what is good in soft wood may not be good in Hard Maple!

Re: Cowboy's tree - Be carful, assess the likely direction of fall, try to stay on the safe side, and always be alert. Start cutting from the bottom (use some wedges so you don't pinch a bar), and see if the weight of it will bring it down. If it is free hanging, then cut the trunk, and you may want to tie it off. Just remember the extra stuff, and be careful.

It happens sometimes. Just bad luck, I guess :innocent:.

Hot and humid, urk. Hard to get motivated to do firewood in those conditions. What's the wood you've got up there?
That is a sugar maple. When it was cut it gushed sap. I'd never really seen anything like it. Allot of sap came out

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I looked at a new Central Boiler OWB yesterday. I was on my way to pick up the last load from this 36” silver maple that I cut last week. It was leaning toward the road. I cut off two large limbs that were on the road side, and I still had to pull it over with a rope.

I’m undecided on the OWB. It’s between spending the 12+K to heat the house and machine shed, or 2K for a Drolet furnace just for the shed.

220f97bb8f201c8d9219e0a11e42221b.jpg

Back