Crazy Stihl 192 Issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Red Oaks 4 me

Fun with flying wood chips
Reaction score
A friend called me today, saying that his 192 didn't want to crank yesterday, but after he got it cranked, it would run fine with the bar pointed upwards, but when he lowered the bar to cut, it would cut off. He has only used good pre-mix in it since he's owned it, and it's never acted-up like this before. Thanks for any suggestions!

Check intake boot or rips in fuel line.

To expound on this a little... The carburetor is mounted inside the rear portion of the top handle, and then connected to the cylinder via a rubber boot. I had almost identical symptoms as your friend describes on a 192 that I owned. As you move the handle around, or shift position of the saw, my suspicion is that it is opening up a tear that is in the boot and causing an air leak. You may be able to look at the boot at the rear of the saw and see if there is a problem. If it requires removing the handle to check the boot, that is not too difficult a process on the 192. Good luck.

Here is a video that may help...

Back