Wait till spring to grind stumps?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeKeith

Reaction score
Hi all. Hopefully this is a basic question. Putting the house on the market within a year and this summer my son and I cut down 8 intrusive/not so great trees on one side of our property. largest is about 16" across The goal is to put up a privacy fence. Im going to grind them and will rent a good grinder for a day to do it. Probably the Toro STX. We are on a budget with where we can put $ into the house for improvements. I would prefer not to do the grinding until later if possible. Any pressing reason why this may not be a wise choice? Thanks.

Hi all. Hopefully this is a basic question. Putting the house on the market within a year and this summer my son and I cut down 8 intrusive/not so great trees on one side of our property. largest is about 16" across The goal is to put up a privacy fence. Im going to grind them and will rent a good grinder for a day to do it. Probably the Toro STX. We are on a budget with where we can put $ into the house for improvements. I would prefer not to do the grinding until later if possible. Any pressing reason why this may not be a wise choice? Thanks.

depending on the species of trees you cut it may pay to pre poison the stumps a few weeks prior to grind.. As some trees can spring growth sucker up from surrounding roots and this can be painful issue to control later..

As translocation of herbicide into stump & out to roots is less efficient than by foliage application you may need to use a woody poison like Tordon

I think I rambled too much on my original question. Basically want to know if delaying grinding for 4 or 5 months will somehow result in some negative effect? More time consuming?, ground wood chips will be too mushy to clean up and move to other side or property? Anything else?
Thanks.

I think I rambled too much on my original question. Basically want to know if delaying grinding for 4 or 5 months will somehow result in some negative effect? More time consuming?, ground wood chips will be too mushy to clean up and move to other side or property? Anything else?
Thanks.

no not really in fact with some trees eg Pine Cypress leaving a time frame from cut to grind can make the job easier,,,only if you got aussie hard woods red gum or sugar gum they can dry like petrified stone.

JTM is right if needed its best apply herbicide at time of removal but you can recut or drill stump to reach into live sap wood that not dried to resist the poison penetration..

I would grind now and the soil replacement will have time to settle from the freeze/thaw cycle, so in the spring you can level backup and plant your seed

Back