Issues with Stihl 034 super

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Smith

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Guess this will be my introduction to the forum so hello to everyone

I was given two chainsaws one is a Stihl 034 AV super the other a Husqvarna 162 SE

the 162 SE has no chain break and starts and runs really good put a new gas filter on put fresh mixed gas in and three pulls she was running and idling and revving the Stihl how ever is another story

The Stihl will start if you remove the air filter and spray a little starting fluid in the carb will fire up but dies within 10 seconds
I have cleaned the carb replaced the filter in the gas tank but nothing I try will seem to make it stay running long enough to adjust the carb or anything it has a Zama carb which appears to be in good condition pulled it completely apart

looking for suggestions as to where or what to check to get the Stihl running

Thanks for reading my post in advance

Stop putting starting fluid in it!! It removes all lubrication. The fuel system needs to be replaced. Filter, fuel line, impulse line, carb kit, carb cleaning and new air filter. Pour some fresh non ethanol mix into the carb throat to relube the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you check the little screen? the pulse signal? the low sped circuit for clogs? the fuel line for cracks or breaks? could the intake manifold have a rip or tear? Are the bolts holding the cylinder down tight?
This is a start there are more.

Stop putting starting fluid in it!! It removes all lubrication. The fuel system needs to be replaced. Filter, fuel line, impulse line, carb kit, carb cleaning and new air filter. Pour some fresh non ethanol mix into the carb throat to relube the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do realize using starter fluid in a two cycle motor is not a good idea but I wanted to see if it would even fire at all only one small shot and it did fire did it just to see if it was even worth the effort to move forward with repairs

update on 034 super replaced fuel line,fuel filter,impulse line,installed new plug and air filter and she runs like a top the main issue was a small almost pin hole in fuel line checked piston and rings and they looked almost new like the saw had been run vary little

Latest posts

Back