Bought stihl ms261-cm, buyers remorse?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can also run picco (3/8lp) on the 261 ... STIHL makes a 16” bar for that application ... you can get longer 18”+ from aftermarket but can be pricey ...
Can i get a really big bar in picco? Got my 880 sent out to HOTSAWS101!!!. Its gonna be sweet amd fuggin RIGHTEOUS!!!!!! Figured the picco chain would make it run super smooth. Almost as if it were purring, like a cat. Like a black cat. Hmmm i like that, “black cat performance” maybe i should trademark that ****.

Can i get a really big bar in picco? Got my 880 sent out to HOTSAWS101!!!. Its gonna be sweet amd fuggin RIGHTEOUS!!!!!! Figured the picco chain would make it run super smooth. Almost as if it were purring, like a cat. Like a black cat. Hmmm i like that, “black cat performance” maybe i should trademark that ****.
I’d contact Plitz ... he’s got some hotsaws and chains

How well does a 261 actually handle a 20" in .325 ?

In softwood, just fine. That's a very common setup on the west coast. I'm sure it'd work alright in hardwood too if your expectations aren't too high. Also, a muffler mod and a bit of timing advance would probably go a long way. Personally, I don't care how well it'd pull it, 84dl of .325 is not something I care to file. I'm gonna keep short bars on my 261 and run 20"+ bars on saws that want 3/8 and have a little more get up and go.

In softwood, just fine. That's a very common setup on the west coast. I'm sure it'd work alright in hardwood too if your expectations aren't too high. Also, a muffler mod and a bit of timing advance would probably go a long way. Personally, I don't care how well it'd pull it, 84dl of .325 is not something I care to file. I'm gonna keep short bars on my 261 and run 20"+ bars on saws that want 3/8 and have a little more get up and go.

Ryan, I was just curious. I seen it mentioned in some older 261 topics. Just seems a little on the long side. Then again, who am I to judge?....I run an 18" on a 241 right now lol Now that I've gotten a 261, I'm going to switch the 241 back to a 16" 325 and the 261 to 18".

The one & the same "Barefoot Super faller/logger" the fount of all knowledge put on a Long bar,Lo Pro chain ,8 or more pin sprocket & that sir is the "ultimate tune "
Ok gotcha ... he’s the same guy who sez Hp doesn’t matter - it’s all in the gearing ! Oh well better sell the 395xp and get a 32” b/c for the 261 c lol

I don’t care what bar he puts on a saw. All i know is i can buy my Stihl chain from him cheaper than i can buy it at the dealer. Shipping included

I don’t care what bar he puts on a saw. All i know is i can buy my Stihl chain from him cheaper than i can buy it at the dealer. Shipping included
Try Madsens 100ft roll or buy 1 get one free chain deal ... last 1 checked it was $249 for 100’of ps 63 vs $450 here at dealer ... don’t know why it’s $200 more ; must be West Coast ~East Coast STIHL

The only remorse you should have is getting one without heated handles.

I've moved many different saws through the line up in the last 2 years, the 261 is the only one that is staying forever.

The only remorse you should have is getting one without heated handles.

I've moved many different saws through the line up in the last 2 years, the 261 is the only one that is staying forever.
Yeppers ... I have one I modded running 16” bar with ps63 chain - cuts a lot of wood quickly

Hey Dale,
weight and probably not balance not very important for the homeowner, as you can take a break whenever you want and fore as long as you like. However, having a long enough blade and enough power is crucial and 16" is too minimal for most situations of standing timber.

You'll be lucky if you don't eventually wish for the Ms 362 size but you did good with that 261

I bought an MS261C-M just a couple weeks ago. I'm loving that saw so far.

Here it is the day I got it. Just wanted to try it out. Anyone need a coaster? ;)

n6FoJZt.jpg

Hey Dale,
weight and probably not balance not very important for the homeowner, as you can take a break whenever you want and fore as long as you like. However, having a long enough blade and enough power is crucial and 16" is too minimal for most situations of standing timber.

You'll be lucky if you don't eventually wish for the Ms 362 size but you did good with that 261

He said "blade"...get him!

Back