Anyone use a small electric log splitter for making kindling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

066blaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting one for in my garage
I never have enough, and i am always out there in my pajamas and slippers looking for straight grained pieces to split with an ax. I think it would be nice to just split some small stuff as needed with a little splitter.

I have one in my basement. Don't use it much any more, just the odd time I want to respite a split that didn't get split enough the first time. I use my fiskars to make kindling with, electric splitters are pretty slow.

I just pick up slivers off my hyd splitter. Using a multi split wedge, I always end up with a bunch of little pieces. I just put the pieces in a bucket and set inside by the stove. If I start running short, I can always just take my bucket back to my splitting area and refill.

I have one in my basement, I use on softwood to make kindling. I've had it for 7-8 years, works great! Use it to make big pieces smaller too. If it goes in the furnace door, it goes in the basement. If I want smaller, I throw it on the electric splitter in the basement and split it.

I have a small 9 tons electric splitter, I use it when I have wood to split at home (urban area), and this work ok fo 8-10 inches logs, but pretty slow. In winter I use it indoor for kindling and this work perfect.

Ive never used an electric splitter but I would think it would make a mess in the garage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I take the shot pieces when i'm splitting and make them as thin as i can, like 1/2' boards and through them to the side. Easy to split with the hatchet in the fall.

I end up lighting my wood burner once a day in fall and spring. sometimes twice,morning and night. i really just need small splits to get it going . not really small kindling. it doesn't seem necessary to keep it burning all day,plus it would get too warm in the house.

I keep an electric splitter in the spare room for making kinlin. But dont use it a whole lot. After a few times of starting the stove it gets old so just keep it going till spring when it worms up. If it gets too hot open some windows. Good way to get lingering company to leave as well lol.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

bought a Scheppach 5 ton electric splitter off Facebook for $150 . the guy only used it a couple times. It works great for making kindling, especially with the 6 way slip on tat came with it. I just put a seasoned split in there and instant kindling. It looks like this set up is about $500 new, so i'm pretty happy. I do have a large splitter as well. This works good for what i am using for, but definitelyhas its limitations. 20181014_185106.jpg 20181014_185055.jpg

I have a Swedish slide hammer log splitter /kindling maker works great & with the correct size log /anvil I can even sit down to do the splitting of kindling

Bark, bark, bark. No, that's not my dog talking to you. Dry bark makes fabulous kindling. Store it somewhere where it can dry. I wrap it up in a newspaper section, pieces about 2" wide. Three or four bark wraps atop a couple of dry logs and the fire starts right up.

I never seem to have a shortage of dry bark unless I leave it out in the rain.

Back