Military trailer for firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have had a m101 for about 10 years works awesome for firewood or anything else hauled about 6,000 pounds of gravel in it while it was right on the bump stops the whole time that load it handled it just fine. You wont get a stronger built trailer I dont believe!

Here is my setup.

Looks okay for flat ground. The hitch being way up high like that really raises your center of gravity. Also, I hope you've got some chains or something holding the three point arms down. Otherwise that's a real dangerous combination.

I've used this setup for years! I keep the tongue jack down and only bring the wheels of the jack up a couple of inches when hauling. Due to the hitch being so high, the top of the 3 point is the only way I can use it. Because of the tongue jack it's impossible to upset the tractor. I use my 8n but I have an oliver 55 tractor that handles it much better. I dont have hills around here so it does just fine.

I find this to be much easier to load and unload, not a Dumper:(, but 6x12 Tandem axle with a 7,000# gvw, a bit over 1,500# empty, 6,000# of wood without a second thought about it. The ramp gate is not just nice for loading and unloading wood, but we usually piggyback the splitter in it, and the Wife runs the splitter while I'm bucking. I get some Bucked and rolled over to her, keep bucking then, roll, load her pile of splits, buck, roll, load splits, repeat, repeat, repeat........

It's Nice taking the splitter with us, it keeps the driveway cleaner, and the neighbors don't have to listen to the splitter so much. I can get about a cord and a half plus the splitter, if I take the tongue off the splitter, it's just 2 bolts to do that. I have had over 2 cords of Green D Fir in it, but that was about a 50% overload, over 10,000# axles and tongue weights combined, I TRY to not do that too much, but hey, I CAN'T leave Good wood behind;):):surprised3:

I bought this trailer new in 2000, and like my Old Reliable Husky 266XP, I'm never parting with this either. I have had a lot of (Silly) people comment "Gee, is it BIG Enough?".... Well actually, if I did have to replace it it would be probably a 6'10"x16' with either tandem 8,000# or triple 5,000# or 6,000# axles, I have never regretted not getting a smaller trailer, but several times, I have wished a had a Bigger trailer, and have wished that it was a dumper on too many occasions.

[photo=large]5174[/photo]

Doug :cheers:

1968 M101A1 here, 2250/1350 lbs on/off road...….yeah right........haven't played within those limits since the day I brought it home. Converted to 12V LED lights and popped for new skins since the tires were original and no way I was hauling hardwood down the highway with 'em. Somewhere between 150 and 200 loads of firewood over the last ten years; can echo others' comments on inability to overload the thing; tracks perfect on the highway behind a GM K1500, rides and handles good with a load on the highway; great in the woods hooked up to the tractor; agree with the comment about loading large rounds...….cutting smaller rounds or noodling or splitting are options, so yes it sometimes involves handling a few more pieces but that's my gym membership I guess...….but I do love the ground clearance in the woods. Pic is a load of aspen for the maple syrup stove.

IMG_20180114_182145677.jpg

One of the better designs if one can be sourced from an ex military disposal sale ( if you have them in the US ) is a 4 wheel bomb trailer

They are only designed to tow at 25mph. That's what I did in the USAF.

Now I'm sure a bit faster won't kill the thing, or anyone, but I wouldn't take it on a highway!

1968 M101A1 here, 2250/1350 lbs on/off road...….yeah right........haven't played within those limits since the day I brought it home. Converted to 12V LED lights and popped for new skins since the tires were original and no way I was hauling hardwood down the highway with 'em. Somewhere between 150 and 200 loads of firewood over the last ten years; can echo others' comments on inability to overload the thing; tracks perfect on the highway behind a GM K1500, rides and handles good with a load on the highway; great in the woods hooked up to the tractor; agree with the comment about loading large rounds...….cutting smaller rounds or noodling or splitting are options, so yes it sometimes involves handling a few more pieces but that's my gym membership I guess...….but I do love the ground clearance in the woods. Pic is a load of aspen for the maple syrup stove.

View attachment 678616

Looks like some nice cooker wood right there.

Latest posts

Back