Cylinder honing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I disagree,cylinder sealing and piston ring and cylinder breakin and sealing are related,be it a cast iron bore,nikasil or chrome. Also the crosshatch left retains oil for lubrication in 2-strokes,also I only hone for a few seconds so not to thin the cylinder plating, the old chrome was tough,but nikasil is pretty thin,I hone as little as possible on them. I don't know why the ball hone goes in the garbage can for saws. You surely don't use the ancient 3 stone hone, do You?

I disagree,cylinder sealing and piston ring and cylinder breakin and sealing are related,be it a cast iron bore,nikasil or chrome. Also the crosshatch left retains oil for lubrication in 2-strokes,also I only hone for a few seconds so not to thin the cylinder plating, the old chrome was tough,but nikasil is pretty thin,I hone as little as possible on them. I don't know why the ball hone goes in the garbage can for saws. You surely don't use the ancient 3 stone hone, do You?

Nope!
Nor any other hone either.
There are just better ways.
But to each their own. Your saw do it your way.

Mike

Speaking of @wigglesworth he will be here tomorrow for the GTG.

How are you Mike?

I'm OLD, FAT and crippled!
But I keep waking up every morning (or at least some time during the day) so life is good!
Sorry I didn't know about your GTG in time to make plans, I'd love to see a bunch of youall again.
Guess I should get back into the loop a little. Hope everything goes great for your GTG.

Mike

I'm OLD, FAT and crippled!
But I keep waking up every morning (or at least some time during the day) so life is good!
Sorry I didn't know about your GTG in time to make plans, I'd love to see a bunch of youall again.
Guess I should get back into the loop a little. Hope everything goes great for your GTG.

Mike

Gonna do it again next year. First weekend in October again.

It was great having Andre @Andyshine77 there this year.

The original factory crosshatch is already there. You just have to reveal it with a good cleaning.

It takes a lot of pistons and rings to wear out the factory crosshatch in good chrome. Lots.

On normal car engines with cast iron cylinder walls, I thought the reason for honing was to remove the glaze and smooth out where the ring ridge had been, and to get a good crosshatch for ring seating and oil retention.

But on a chrome or nikasil cylinder in a 2-stroke, do you even get a glaze, much less a ring ridge?

No hone at all?!
Yea ok ,do it your way... Well each to his own...no crossshatch for efficient ring sealing or retaining oil...
Do you know how hard Nikasil is? I believe there is a place for honing some cylinders, just not Nikasil plated saw ones. Some of the guys offering advice have rebuilt more than a few.

Do you know how hard Nikasil is? I believe there is a place for honing some cylinders, just not Nikasil plated saw ones. Some of the guys offering advice have rebuilt more than a few.

In this case honing, or sand paper and finger, Muratic Acid, or whatever is to get the aluminum transfer off. The less effect on the plating the better.

Are you sure its not a 311Y? Just asking since I have only worked on very few saws.

Well I will be damned. It must be a special model. It has a 311Y sticker too.

Now.....about that blade.

The guy at the saw shop tried to sell me some sort of chisel chain attachment for it, but I can't find the hammer setting to run that.

I just want a dang regular blade.

Well I will be damned. It must be a special model. It has a 311Y sticker too.

Now.....about that blade.

The guy at the saw shop tried to sell me some sort of chisel chain attachment for it, but I can't find the hammer setting to run that.

I just want a dang regular blade.
Maybe this guy can help you out ...

Baby-Howler-Monkey-2.jpg

Latest posts

Back