Woodchuck c17

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigGTP

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Can I replace the rear disc bearings without removing the entire disc any information an procedure would be a great help

Are you speaking of the cutting disc bearings? If so, you'll have to hang the disc from a forklift or Bobcat. We do these repairs and we always take the disc out as it's very hard to cut a bearing off of a moving object.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400

Ok I can use my backhoe to hand it . The bearing disintegrated do you know where I can get an exploded view of what I've got cut off and replace

I don't have a drawing but I can tell you how to do it. Remove the bolt, lock washer, and spacer. Remove the set screws out of the locking collar. You have to remove everything else and save the grease fitting and hose if it has one. My mechanics use a ziz wheel and please wear glasses especially when you get to the race of the bearing. When you get to the race which is the last piece, cut a groove in the top of the race parallel to the shaft and don't cut into the shaft. Then cut a groove 180 degrees from that cut. Take a chisel and 3 lb. hammer and put the chisel into the groove and hammer away. Be careful as the race can and will shatter and please again wear safety glasses. If you're good with a cutting torch, it can also be cutoff with that. Hopefully you didn't run it too long with bad bearings as they may have eaten the shaft. If there's a grove in the shaft where the race was, you'll need a new shaft and another bearing. If the shaft is good, clean it up with emery paper and replace your bearings.

I stock the knives for this machine and if you need any in the future, please keep me in mind as I'm not very far from you as we're in Atlanta.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400

Does the ring with the hole just slide off before cutting race off

You're doing just fine. Now make a cut on top and on the bottom of the shaft but DON'T go through the race to the shaft as you will damage the shaft and you'll need a new one. When you think you're getting close to the shaft STOP and get your chisel and hammer and beat the race off. Again, please remember to wear safety glasses as the metal will shatter. The ring comes off as well as the new bearing will have a locking collar. After getting the race off, run your hand parallel to the shaft and see if there's any groove or step in the shaft. If not, your good as gold. Simply shine the shaft up with emery paper and put on the new bearing.

Thanks for all the help. I've cut many bearings off axle shafts so I'm good in that. When that bearing went out it chipped up the blades so I'll probably give you a shout on some new ones again thanks for all your help this is a fantastic site

Haven't gotten that far yet got to go out of town on a job for 2 weeks I'll find out when I get back

I can help with engine parts. You have to watch Altec as they now own Woodchuck and their parts are pricey. Just give me a call when you need something and we'll see how I compete with them.

Have a safe trip.

Well altec says they no longer support this 94 model have no bearing an were no help at all

Doesn't surprise me a bit. I should be able to help. Is there a brand name on the bearing such as Dodge? What's the shaft diameter? I may also need to know the center to center on the mounting bolt holes and what size are the bolts? I can work on this today and let you know.

After this hurricane passes an I get back into town I'll get the bearing cut off and look for all the information and get back to you

Latest posts

Back