Is this Armillaria Mellea? And what do I do about it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAEngineer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
The photos are of an oak that is very close to the house. It has been raining the last few days so I haven't been out there much, but I do know there were no mushrooms on Saturday and I don't recall ever seeing any similar before that here or nearby. We purchased the house in June so I don't know if there is a history with this tree before that.IMG_1817.JPG IMG_1818.JPG IMG_1819.JPG IMG_1820.JPG IMG_1821.JPG IMG_1822.JPG IMG_1823.JPG

Looks more like jack o lanterns to me, but you could post to Facebook Mushroom ID group to get more opinions.

https://www.mushroomexpert.com/omphalotus_illudens.html

As far as what to do about it.... nothing. Once the mycelium has colonized a tree there's nothing you're going to spray on it to beat it back. Just keep an eye on it for structural integrity

I agree...looks more like Omphalotus

As for what to do .... I haven't seen much about treating jack-o-lantern, but there are some studies that show root collar excavation and treating with Reliant fungicide may help with Armallaria. Of course, that is a secondary pathogen, so you first want to look for primary stressors and see if you can alleviate those...

Certainly worth having an expert review the tree. Removing based on those 7 pictures is a little over-reactive. Omphalotus is not known as one of the more aggressive tree weakening fungi - but it usually does come in later in the "death spiral" than others...so while it may not be causing major problems, it could be indicating that they are there.

Oh...and take the mushrooms into a dark room and see if the gills glow... (posting pics of gills on underside is helpful for ID...)

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I've reached out to a local arborist via email, but have not heard back yet. If anyone has a reference in the Dahlonega GA area please let me know.

Looks like root damage from digging for home construction.
Good luck with the arborist... I recently contacted two within fifty miles of me and didn't have any luck getting them to come to the house.

Looking at your photos again, it appears the tree in question is very close to your house, or some structure, leaning in the opposite direction, close to a steep slope, in a heavily wooded area?
Why not just take it down and stop worrying about it? It's not like it's the only tree in your yard.

Good luck with the arborist... I recently contacted two within fifty miles of me and didn't have any luck getting them to come to the house.

Looking at your photos again, it appears the tree in question is very close to your house, or some structure, leaning in the opposite direction, close to a steep slope, in a heavily wooded area?
Why not just take it down and stop worrying about it? It's not like it's the only tree in your yard.

It is the house. And it is a rather steep slope, the contour lines in the image below are at 10'. If it has to come down, it will come down. But if its not in danger of keeling over soon or can be made healthy at a reasonable cost I'd like to keep it.
IMG_5927.JPG upload_2018-10-12_10-8-50.png

"Keeling over soon" is relative. The tree could topple for other reasons besides disease.
I'm in TN and most of our severe wind comes from the west/south west. Every tree that has come down in my yard has fallen with the top pointing to the north east. When I plant trees in my yard, I keep this in mind.
You're in GA. Not only do you have severe storms and tornadoes coming at you from the south west, but you are also likely to get high winds from hurricanes coming up from the south, or from the east.
I doubt your tree has a stable and secure root system, and when it falls, Murphy's Law says it will fall on your house... even though it is leaning towards the slope.
You're tree, your house.
If it were mine, I'd take it out before it took out my home.

PS: That trees a lot heavier than it looks. :D

How would you even take down that tree? Doesn't look like any room for a bucket truck - you'd have to get a monkey with a chain saw to climb up it. :dizzy:

You say you contacted two arborist within 50 miles of you and they wouldn't come out?

Maybe arborist figured out over the phone that you are a she-ape.

See how it feels?

I'm going to say this as nice as I can:

When you don't know beans about trees.....you should refrain from offering advice on a tree forum.

You say you contacted two arborist within 50 miles of you and they wouldn't come out?

Maybe arborist figured out over the phone that you are a she-ape.

See how it feels?

I'm going to say this as nice as I can:

When you don't know beans about trees.....you should refrain from offering advice on a tree forum.
Where the hell did that come from?? I wasn't insulting people who climb trees with chain saws - I was simply saying how hard it looked like it would be to take down that tree.
Don't be a jerk... and, just because I don't climb trees with a chain saw, doesn't mean I know nothing about trees.
So stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

Where the hell did that come from?? I wasn't insulting people who climb trees with chain saws - I was simply saying how hard it looked like it would be to take down that tree.
Don't be a jerk... and, just because I don't climb trees with a chain saw, doesn't mean I know nothing about trees.
So stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

So you don't think calling a climbing arborist "a monkey with a chainsaw" is insulting to arborist everywhere?

OK, so you don't get it.

Back