Long Bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It comes down to personal preference and what you cut. As a weekend firewooder, I regularly buck greater than 42” hardwood and frequently fall 30”+ oak with 60 to 123cc saws. I have bars from 18” to 52”. I actually use 20”, 25” and 33”. Probably used 75/20/5. Never use the 18” or longer than 36”. Hardly ever use the 36”. Long bars are nice for falling. Also a 25” or longer bar is nice with a light saw if you cut small stuff at ground level. For most firewood bucking a 20” will do it quite well.

Ron

If I'm honest a 16 will cover 80% of what I cut for firewood. My cs490 with a 16 sees more use then the rest of my saws combined. The ported 590 wares a 20 and the 7910 has a 24.
Most of my cutting is on a landing where a tree service dumps wood. The rest is when my FIL pushes over a line fence. Most of my cutting is smaller trees and I have the option to pick and choose. If I can’t lift it easily I can always leave it behind.

Most of my cutting is on a landing where a tree service dumps wood. The rest is when my FIL pushes over a line fence. Most of my cutting is smaller trees and I have the option to pick and choose. If I can’t lift it easily I can always leave it behind.

Based on the circumstances you described, I don’t see the need for a long bar. You are not going to lift a round needing a long bar to cut it. Likely all of the little stuff has been chipped so little tip of the back bar cutting, and likely little overhead cutting.

Ron

I salvage big wood dropped by tree removal companies, and that requires no less than a 28" bar on many occasions. I generally use a 70 cc saw or larger for that. On occasion, I have needed a 32" bar, but not often.

My three favorite saws that can pull long bars are my Stihl 046 Mag, Makita/Dolmar 6401 with a BBK, and my Echo CS-670. I usually restrict those to 32" bars.

But, when the trunks get really big and I then need a 36" bar, I reach for my Stihl MS660 Mag and my Stihl 064. They get the job done in spades.
What is a BBK?

What is a BBK?
BBK = Big Bore Kit. That bumps the horsepower about 10 to 15%. The displacement and power of that Makita is thus about the same as a Stihl 461 or an 046 Mag. The engine on that Makita was straight gassed by the original owner who sold it to me as a parts saw. When I rebuilt it, I installed the BBK.

I cut firewood for myself for many years on the one saw plan with a 20"bar. After getting involved with Tennessee Baptist Disaster Relief, I have had many occasions to use a Longer bar. I got addicted to AS, eBay, and craigslist, and ended up with almost too many saws with assorted bar lengths from 12"pole saw to 42". I am a firm believer in having a bar long enough to reach thru the tree, and not cutting down both sides to make a cut. Mainly because I cant seem to line up the cuts. I'm also a firm believer in using the smallest /lightest saw that will get the job done. A big heavy saw when you don't need it, is just more work. In my situation, the 18" and the 24" see most of the action. Which means the 20" is rarely used. The 36" is occasionally used when needed, and the 42" bar is rarely even put on a saw. My advise would be to look at the wood you are cutting and have an assortment of saws and bars to cut whatever you are likely to run into.

BBK = Big Bore Kit. That bumps the horsepower about 10 to 15%. The displacement and power of that Makita is thus about the same as a Stihl 461 or an 046 Mag. The engine on that Makita was straight gassed by the original owner who sold it to me as a parts saw. When I rebuilt it, I installed the BBK.
I am looking for a Makita/Dolmar right now to convert to a big bore. From what I have heard is they are dang fine saws!

I'm contemplating a longer bar for the 661. It currently has the stock 25in but I cut some big stuff at times and a longer bar would be nice. So far I have always got the job done but just cutting from one side would be nice rather than making two cuts per round. I'm thinking about a 36in bar for it and keeping the 20in on the 460. Haven't decided yet so it's interesting to read what others do.

Back