Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a live edge board to hang a few axes on a while back. Finally hung it up in my junk room. Can't believe it, two people can stand in the room without touching, I'm on a cleaning roll.
GHQLX5Z.jpg

If you need something picked up I’d be happy to help.

I live close to one, so never ordered on-line. Sometimes the price is different on-line.

Philbert

Philbert

Not sure how I missed these, but thank you. No Menards stores in my region of the mid-Atlantic. Not a big deal either, just askin' is all!

Walmart had a telescoping sprinkler on the local shelve and listed online. The online price was 4 bucks cheaper so I ordered it online and picked it up at the store same day. It pays to check sometimes.

out of interest, do you gents perceive any difference in quality between Gransfors bruk, S.A.Wetterlings and Hults Bruk/Hultafors? I've not had them all but sort of for some reason think Hultfors being modern are quality but made to a price, and that HB, SAW and GB are probably all very very similar even though GB are still available and twice the price pf Hultafors and seems to demand twice the price for vintage too. Personally I'd have maybe thought HB and SAW might be more collectable as they aren't made any more. I am frequently surprised by the prices stuff goes for on ebay though. I've been watching and bidding on some ~4lb swedish heads as I have a gap...I have a 1 1/2 no name swede courtesy of Dan, I have a 2 1/2 SAW (recent ish win) I have a 6lb SAW...would be nice to have a 4lber.

I watched a 4 1/2 SAW, nice condition head close with no bids back in september after a listing of £35 +£8 postage.
11th Sept a 4lb SAW on a good haft didn't sell, listed at £48+6
27th a fair but pitted 4lb SAW head only went at £35+6
30th a nice 4lb SAW on good haft went for £44+7
today a pristine 4 1/2lb SAW head sold BIN at £50+0
today I was stunned to see a HB, pristin 4lb Agdor on pristine haft, go at £40+10.50....I bid £39 which i thought would be miles off
another 4 1/2 fair SAW head ends tomorrow and is at £35+6.50....maybe i should bid a little more
Just finished and surprised me....5lb SAW in good condition on its haft, £51+8.50
Talk about variation. blimey.
Ending tomorrow...cross your fingers for me....no name or marks but old blue paint so fair bet its swedish 4lber in pristine condition its at a lowly £650+6.85 currently with me.
there is also a 3lber marked dy (??) blue paint and epoxy to haft, haft broken head good ends tomorrow £7.50+4.50 currently...maybe i should... hmm

Still, I suppose if ebay was easy and predictable it wouldn't be fun would it. might have to bid on that DY....no idea what that marking is but I'm sure the axe is swedish.

Oh and 12 year old nephew wants to learn to help his dad (my big brother) split logs....my brother and i are thinking a 2.5 - 4lber on a 28" or 32" handle. I was thinking lighter, m brother thinks heavier he's about 5'5 currently and typical of most 12 year olds he's a bean pole growing upwards at speed. My thinking is lighter head and learn to swing it accurately and swiftly...long enough haft to be safe (hit the floor not toes!) so 2*" minimum but maybe 32" as he's growing quickly. His dad is just a little shorter than me at 5'10.5", his mum is errr fairly tall too...5'9" i think so I'm guessing he will end up around 6" in 4 to 5 years....although this handle won't survive that long i'm sure!

hmm..how much to bid on that DY....?

AAaaaarrrghhh! :angry::angry::angry:

2nd highest bidder today on all 3 heads! happy to let the 3lb DY go for £18...I'm fairly positive they are Swedish but they are no name/unmarked with the Swede so although £18+6.50 is a fair price there comes a point where you say its not good to go higher...in fact I felt I let ebay suck me in higher than I wanted so i stuck to £12 for the unmarked but blue and probably Scandi 4 1/2 lber....it went for £12.50 + 6.85. After losing out on those 2 I raised my bid on the SAW 4 1/2lber...should have gone higher...I bid £37 and it went for £38+6.50. I might have t accept...£50 or close to is what they are going for currently. :nofunny::cry:

Back