Why No Love for Stihl 034?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artbuc

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
A couple have been for sale (one is mine) for a while with little to no action. Both are in very nice shape. Are they unpopular due to age, weight or technology? Thanks.

As with almost any saw with multiple displacement available on the same chassis, the little brother is generally less popular. Dolmar 6400 is kind of a pig for the displacement, drop on a 7900 top end tho and it becomes the best power to weight saw out there just about. The ridiculous prices stihl charges for parts, top ends especially, makes it hard to upgrade with oem parts. Weird that husky can sell 346 top ends for $100, and stihl has to charge $300 or so for an ms260 or equivalent top end...

It's all about price. Older saws rarely sell if listed with comparable prices to the current model of equal size.
A couple have been for sale (one is mine) for a while with little to no action. Both are in very nice shape. Are they unpopular due to age, weight or technology? Thanks.
If it were a super it would have already sold for 300. Maybe you'll get lucky and the member who made the offer yesterday will still be willing to give you his hard earned money, which likely belongs to his wife, for your saw. :)

Selling a used saw these days is a chore. It took me four months (you are reading that right) to sell an MS290.
Present models may sell faster if listed at an attractive price, but older saws such as the 034 have to wait a long time and be listed at an attractive price to find a buyer. If you think you'll sell quickly just because your saw works well you are bound to find you'll get a lot of nibbles each time you list a price reduction but no bites until the price has fallen low enough, which for you may be in the "uncomfortable" zone. :(

The days when MS460's went for silly money, even ¾ of the price of a brand new MS461, are long gone and will never come back. These days is all about being patient and be ready and willing to work on rice-paper-thin margins. It's not just competition from other individual sellers: last year Stihl was offering 0% EAPR on selected homeowner chainsaws here. The program has mercifully been scrapped due to rising interest rates (nothing like putting a brand new chainsaw in the hands of a SUVhuman), but it put a whole lot of downward pressure on used prices. I mean... how do you compete with that? :dizzy:

But this is the Internet, so the place is chocked full of people who bought a chaisnaw for $40 two weeks ago, fixed it for $35 last week, and sold it for $300 plus shipping this one. ;)

Conquistador, thx for taking time to give such a comprehensive and thoughtful response. Maybe I will just hold on to it and let my executor sell it at the estate sale. Even though I will not be using it, I still enjoy having it.

I've found a few things with selling saws on here. One: if you're new it's more difficult. Two: old saws don't sell well on here: Three: the saw isn't a popular model to serious chainsawers.

The one thing that will sell a saw on here is a really good deal regardless of model or it's age. Toss the 034 on ebay, it'll sell. Locally in my area it would sell easy too.

If you're lucky and sell it on ebay they will buy it and you'll never hear from it again. If you're unlucky the buyer will cut all his firewood with it then demand a refund because the saw wasn't as advertised and you'll have to refund them and may or may not get your saw back..

If you're lucky and sell it on ebay they will buy it and you'll never hear from it again. If you're unlucky the buyer will cut all his firewood with it then demand a refund because the saw wasn't as advertised and you'll have to refund them and may or may not get your saw back..

I’ve sold about 10 saws on eBay and never had a problem, but I have heard of others having issues. Keep that in mind

I’ve sold about 10 saws on eBay and never had a problem, but I have heard of others having issues. Keep that in mind
I've sold over a hundred saws on ebay and never had a problem until the last couple of years. Seems that's when the scammers came out of the woodwork. What I'm keeping in mind is that ebay is gonna have to clean up their dishonest buyers or they're not gonna have many sellers..

Recently I've decided to try to sell a few saws and other things on CL and the third sale there I ran into a scammer, someone wanting to pay me more than my item sells for but they wanted to pay by check and I was supposed to forward the rest of the money somewhere else. I guess I'm gonna have to stop messing with internet selling...Sorry to get the thread going in a different direction...

Scammers try to get you on anything you’re selling on the internet. I’ve had it through eBay also. It’s very easy to spot. The “keep that in mind” comment was directed at the OP.

Latest posts

Back