70 ton wood splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TONYRB

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi thought id try upload some pics of our 70ton wood splitter.. still early days..

Got the 500mm by 500mm push plate welded up. Sitiing on a 250by90 h beam 17 mm flange. Waiting on 2nd ram to have 1inch ports fitted as factory ports were to small, hopfully this week will get time to fit the some 8mm teflon like product under the push plate bolt it alk up and weld in the rear ram brackets at the matching height at the rear.. will keep this up dated

Attachments

• 20180924_145003.jpg
    20180924_145003.jpg
    572.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 20181001_162922.jpg
    20181001_162922.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 98
Stript the paint back and seald it up. Still needs top coat but will wait got a ton of welding to go

Attachments

• 20181002_162504.jpg
    20181002_162504.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 58
Dunno what the converts to American, but I have an 18" 1" thick H beam that'd made a nice splitter!.

Nice. Once complete ill have something like, 2x 100by100by10mm angle iron at the top. With a smaller h beam at the back supporting it, so the rams are in a cage set up... i love plasma cutters... i still need to cut threw the other side and drop it threw, box the rear bracket to the web it n weld her up..

Attachments

• 20181002_224832.jpg
    20181002_224832.jpg
    544.6 KB · Views: 45
Looking great. What on earth needs a 70 ton splitter? Or better question, what can you load on to it that can come close to utilizing the power of this monster?

Looking great. What on earth needs a 70 ton splitter? Or better question, what can you load on to it that can come close to utilizing the power of this monster?

70 ton is at 4000 psi, we can scale it down to 53 ton at 3000 psi which we may have to do to test it, and go up from there if we need to.
The cutting box will be 1m by 1m, 8 way cutter (39" cutting box) but that may change as im liking MUDDSTOPPERS 12 way box cutter, the stroke of the rams is 1100 mm (43") so our plan is to be able to load 3x rings into it and split 3 rings in 1 go. The size of the rings we will just have to wait and see what it can achieve, im aiming for 800mm (31") size rings, may be higher on clean straight wood ? but max is 1m (39") if it can do it and hold together :/

I pick up a lot of my wood pre rung up or logs from friends in the arb industry localy, so our plan is to ring up what we need to, load up the skid steer and load the machine. This week im hoping to gusset the back ram bracket and box the H beam. I should of plated the top flange as my top flange is only 17mm thick, once I refit the ram together ill check the gap between the bottom of the ram and the top of the H beam to see if i have clearance to plate. - the rams will be in a cage set up so im hoping that will also take stress away from the H beam ? im no engineer, just not bad on the welder and trying to make it as strong as i can...

As we do, iv watched months and months of youtube videos, reading forums on how im going to build this. Quite keen to see a front pick of how Muddstopper fitted his --- muddstopper I need ur help..., the rear ram bracket will be strong but with the H beam finishing where the cutting box starts so it can ajust for the size of the rings is what im trying to engineer in my head currently. It will have an axle at the cutting box end, I was going to fit it under the end of the H beam but I would rather have it half way along the rear table out the back so me skid steer has more room to get in and unload the rings.
iv got 80 to 90% of it planned in my head and then the plan changes and then I get to the shed and make it the best plan and re change if i need or want to :)

Open to ideas and opinions. Tony

18" 1" H Beam just the the conversion to mm - thats a decent size H Beam have you got a pic of the splitter.

I bought it with a auction lot of beams, tube, pipe, etc. The beam was the first to go on my truck and the forklift guy about flipped the truck over when he dropped it on the edge of the bed! I think we figured it later it weighed around 3500lbs.

Hauled it all out on an F450, 18ft 12k trailer and a C30... all overloaded... a little haha

Havent done much welding the last few days. Waiting on steel to turn up. Hopfully tomorrow we will clean up the H Beam get it ready to gusset the back ram bracket and box it up. Iv got the front supported sorted on how im going to make it strong enuff to connect on the ajustable cutting box. Iv got the final cutting box designed. Wel do a 12 way and a 4 way in a 1m by 1.3m long box. Hopfully in afew days the cutter box will be complete also

Attachments

• 20181010_185600.jpg
    20181010_185600.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
G'Day Tony.

Am not sure if they are still going since some bastard stole their prototypes a while back but have you looked into what Andy at Holman Enterprises was doing? Might get a few ideas.

Not a set and forget option but this one is not a bad idea either:

Hey KiwiBro.

Not a bad set up, adjustable knife height first time iv seen that in that setup, yup that machine would make a pile of wood fast

Iv cut threw the web and flange of the smaller H beam, and cut some slots for the push plate to slide on threw, Iv placed the smaller H beam on to the main H beam, Next Job is to clean it up and tack it all square with adding the 200mm by 100mm by 9mm RHS supports, once its all welded I will box both H beams.
With this set up, we will be able to slide the cutter box lower than the main H beam, so we can split smaller rings
With all this work iv decided to clean back all the surfaces metal prep it and will seal up the inside of the boxed areas also, its gotta help make it last...

Will load up pics as I go.

Attachments

• 20181011_230832.jpg
    20181011_230832.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
Few more pics

Attachments

• 20181013_173455.jpg
    20181013_173455.jpg
    607.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 20181013_153448.jpg
    20181013_153448.jpg
    520.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 20181013_143902.jpg
    20181013_143902.jpg
    448.2 KB · Views: 26
Still got a days worth of boxing to do around the RHS support on the main beam and some on the smaller H beam. Hopfully mid next week will start the cutter box

Attachments

• 20181017_180909.jpg
    20181017_180909.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
70 ton is at 4000 psi, we can scale it down to 53 ton at 3000 psi which we may have to do to test it, and go up from there if we need to.
The cutting box will be 1m by 1m, 8 way cutter (39" cutting box) but that may change as im liking MUDDSTOPPERS 12 way box cutter, the stroke of the rams is 1100 mm (43") so our plan is to be able to load 3x rings into it and split 3 rings in 1 go. The size of the rings we will just have to wait and see what it can achieve, im aiming for 800mm (31") size rings, may be higher on clean straight wood ? but max is 1m (39") if it can do it and hold together :/

I pick up a lot of my wood pre rung up or logs from friends in the arb industry localy, so our plan is to ring up what we need to, load up the skid steer and load the machine. This week im hoping to gusset the back ram bracket and box the H beam. I should of plated the top flange as my top flange is only 17mm thick, once I refit the ram together ill check the gap between the bottom of the ram and the top of the H beam to see if i have clearance to plate. - the rams will be in a cage set up so im hoping that will also take stress away from the H beam ? im no engineer, just not bad on the welder and trying to make it as strong as i can...

As we do, iv watched months and months of youtube videos, reading forums on how im going to build this. Quite keen to see a front pick of how Muddstopper fitted his --- muddstopper I need ur help..., the rear ram bracket will be strong but with the H beam finishing where the cutting box starts so it can ajust for the size of the rings is what im trying to engineer in my head currently. It will have an axle at the cutting box end, I was going to fit it under the end of the H beam but I would rather have it half way along the rear table out the back so me skid steer has more room to get in and unload the rings.
iv got 80 to 90% of it planned in my head and then the plan changes and then I get to the shed and make it the best plan and re change if i need or want to :)

Open to ideas and opinions. Tony
not sure what picture you need to see. Ill post a few and maybe have what you want.beam and wedge.jpg splitter beam.jpg processor cyl base.jpg 0822151911.jpg I thought I had some pic's of the wedge end, but guess I dont. I havent got back to working on it since these pic's where taken. Anyways, the wedge is made out of 3/4 t1 plate. the slide box is made out of a forklift hoist. It is 1/2in thick channel. I made the wedge just deep enough to slde inside the channel. Off the top of my head, I forget how wide the blade material is, 8inches I believe, each layer of wedges are set back 3 inches from the one in front so that the wood isnt striking all the wedges at one time. The slide box is setting on top of 1in thick plate that is welded to the bottom of the Hbeam. It will need additional braceing at the top to prevent the cyl from just pushing it off the beam. I figured on adding the additional braceing as I build the rest of the processor. I dont know if you can tell from the pic's, but my hbeam is capped and the sides plated with more 1/2in plate. The sides metal is actually welded in from flange to flange to form a box instead of just welded to the web of the beam. At the cyl mount base, I also welded in some gussets on each side to help hold the cyl mounts. Now that gardening is over with for the year, I might get a chance to start back on my build. I have most of what I need to finish it, just havent had the time or any real need to get it finished.

Cheers Muddstopper,
I found your build forum on yours and have read it 4 of 5 times- very helpfull info. I have a bit more boxing to do to the h beam and ill be on to setting up the cutter box. As you mentioned this build also has a heep of strengthening supports to be welded in im currently trying to find the right size H beam to run the box cutter in. The blades we are using is 20mm thick by 200mm wide Single beveled boron steel. Will update mid next week ofthe cutter box- hopefully

20181021_234334.jpg

Latest posts

Back