Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeffkrib, I live in Marietta, Georgia, a suburb of Atlanta, but grew up in northern Illinois. I miss the straight roads; you could always get where you wanted to go. When I first settled here, I observed two principles that seemed to cover getting around here. One is that no consecutive number of left or right turns will get you back where you started and the other is that no matter which way you go, at that time there was another route that would have been quicker, or shorter, or both.

Many roads around here seem to have been laid out by graduates of the Cowpath School of Highway Design.

abbott295 ( I wander because the cows did )

Went to split wood for my Daughter. Worked with my SIL on Storm Damaged Hard Maple that is across the street. Noodled rounds, split them, transported them across the street in my trailer, then wheel barrowed and stacked them in the back yard. Hey, I got to play with my saws, it's OK!!!

We got all the wood out of the upper level, but the lower level still has a little bit left (pic #2).

Attachments

• IMG_20181016_150218066_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181016_150218066_HDR.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20181016_150103893.jpg
    IMG_20181016_150103893.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 33
Went to split wood for my Daughter. Worked with my SIL on Storm Damaged Hard Maple that is across the street. Noodled rounds, split them, transported them across the street in my trailer, then wheel barrowed and stacked them in the back yard. Hey, I got to play with my saws, it's OK!!!

We got all the wood out of the upper level, but the lower level still has a little bit left (pic #2).

That's more like it! As always, :thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

Nice looking wood, Mike.

well gentlemen and such, I lost my phone so Ive been off AS since then.. glad to be back.

Ive been keeping myself busy by scrounging up a few locust twigs. 3 trees 18",26",28" dbh. I had to borrow the 17k trailer, and it took a few trips. With each cut, I thought more and more about all the lamps (and fire!) I'll be making from this.

I had to include a pic of my helper, because that's what it's all about.

c7c0c180a688a335742e86375baa5f63.jpg
b38b4261c808b20d677aac2876836df0.jpg
7df9ec9f19db5e56bd3d8c39e5ece3a2.jpg
f9dd22f86742d4db67298e662ba58da1.jpg
7f6d6f679def9f792d68afb25e133836.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

A69DBBCA-4E0C-4298-8796-33A11A423CCA.jpeg Last load leaving those chest nut trees the guy had dropped. Lots of good wood for 2020.
Definitely earned this wood, my knees and hips are done for a few days. @James Miller, thanks for the info on converting that 490, really a time saver now, start limbing with it and go right down the trunk stopping at about 12-14”.

I got the oak scrounge today. Big oak in the middle of a field "leave only one track in and out, the field is seeded"

First clue my day was not going to go well: Got to the tree to see a roll of barb wire hanging off a stub. It went down hill from there. Got the angle cut finished for the undercut and the chain quit cutting. No problem, I have another. Nope. I had had one link removed last spring as it was almost out of the adjuster travel. Too tight and nothing I could do would get it on. Okay...back to the house and sharpen the dull chain and one that was hangin on the 'to be sharped nail'. Back enroute to the tree adn pulled a 180. I forgot to pick up some wedges, only had one and that tree is a monster around 4' DBH not much lean so will be stacking wedges. Stopped at the Stihl dealer to pick up wedges and a couple screnches (I needed one yesterday and none in the toolbox.

Back at the tree and laid in a the straight cut of wedge deep enough to hold the saw. Around the other side to eyeball it - no good, sloped. Back to the saw and started a straight cut. Seemed okay so proceeded to cut it full bar lenght to meet sloped cut PERFECT!...ooops, nope, I missed the slope cut on the off side by 3 inches. Much hacking and whittling later I had a undercut completed but not as deep as I liked. Suck it up and live with. Backcut , cutting from both sides and encouragement from the wedges had it on the ground.

Not bad. Out to fall a simple tree and on the ground in 3 hours :(. At that point I would have stood it back up if I could. Looked to cover 3 acres with long limbs everwhere. 2 more hours of brushing and bucking and I have a load ready to pick up and 2, yep, just two majore limbs cleared up. there are only about a doze more to go along with a LOT of small ones plus a huge log. I'm guess 2 cord in just the limbe and at least another cord in the main log.

I took a couple pics but too tired to try to post them, maybe tonight.

I got the oak scrounge today. Big oak in the middle of a field "leave only one track in and out, the field is seeded"

First clue my day was not going to go well: Got to the tree to see a roll of barb wire hanging off a stub. It went down hill from there. Got the angle cut finished for the undercut and the chain quit cutting. No problem, I have another. Nope. I had had one link removed last spring as it was almost out of the adjuster travel. Too tight and nothing I could do would get it on. Okay...back to the house and sharpen the dull chain and one that was hangin on the 'to be sharped nail'. Back enroute to the tree adn pulled a 180. I forgot to pick up some wedges, only had one and that tree is a monster around 4' DBH not much lean so will be stacking wedges. Stopped at the Stihl dealer to pick up wedges and a couple screnches (I needed one yesterday and none in the toolbox.

Back at the tree and laid in a the straight cut of wedge deep enough to hold the saw. Around the other side to eyeball it - no good, sloped. Back to the saw and started a straight cut. Seemed okay so proceeded to cut it full bar lenght to meet sloped cut PERFECT!...ooops, nope, I missed the slope cut on the off side by 3 inches. Much hacking and whittling later I had a undercut completed but not as deep as I liked. Suck it up and live with. Backcut , cutting from both sides and encouragement from the wedges had it on the ground.

Not bad. Out to fall a simple tree and on the ground in 3 hours :(. At that point I would have stood it back up if I could. Looked to cover 3 acres with long limbs everwhere. 2 more hours of brushing and bucking and I have a load ready to pick up and 2, yep, just two majore limbs cleared up. there are only about a doze more to go along with a LOT of small ones plus a huge log. I'm guess 2 cord in just the limbe and at least another cord in the main log.

I carry 4 sharp chains with every saw. I carry 5 wedges in the saw bag. 2 screnches in the truck and 1 in the saw bag. And never take just one saw. Been there. Done that.

well gentlemen and such, I lost my phone so Ive been off AS since then.. glad to be back.

Ive been keeping myself busy by scrounging up a few locust twigs. 3 trees 18",26",28" dbh. I had to borrow the 17k trailer, and it took a few trips. With each cut, I thought more and more about all the lamps (and fire!) I'll be making from this.

I had to include a pic of my helper, because that's what it's all about.

c7c0c180a688a335742e86375baa5f63.jpg
b38b4261c808b20d677aac2876836df0.jpg
7df9ec9f19db5e56bd3d8c39e5ece3a2.jpg
f9dd22f86742d4db67298e662ba58da1.jpg
7f6d6f679def9f792d68afb25e133836.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
That's some nice wood there :sweet:.
Boys looking like he had a nice time :).
Is that Chucky in the truck bed :eek:.

Dang that's a rough day, at least your getting some great wood and don't forget no gym membership fee as that oak is the real deal:muscle:.
Looking forward to the pictures :picture:

Latest posts

Back