Sachs Dolmar 117 rebuild?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johninky

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Original owner since 1985. Haven't used it in several years but fired it up today and got to thinking about using it again. Saw has probably cut 100 cords of firewood over the years and the compression is down to 105 pounds. When I last used in 3-4 years ago I couldn't restart it after running through a tankful. So, what do you think? Would it be worth the expense to have the piston and rings replaced? I really liked that saw.

I'm pretty sure I have an oem piston and cylinder for one of those saws. It's 47mm, and appears to be new.
If you'll take it apart send me a pics of the intake side of the cylinder, and dimensions on the piston, I'll verify fitment. If it's right, it's yours for $20, plus the cost of shipping. It is missing the rings, but a good set of caber rings is easy to snag.

Took the saw to my chainsaw guy today and asked him to determine if worth rebuilding and if so, go for it. I'll do a posting when I get the saw back. May be a month but both Pioneer Farmsaws are still running great.

I'm pretty sure I have an oem piston and cylinder for one of those saws. It's 47mm, and appears to be new.
If you'll take it apart send me a pics of the intake side of the cylinder, and dimensions on the piston, I'll verify fitment. If it's right, it's yours for $20, plus the cost of shipping. It is missing the rings, but a good set of caber rings is easy to snag.

I'll keep you in mind.

I'd do it. Maybe put in seals too. Those Sachs Domars are fine saws. I have a 116si which I believe is bout like you 117 but with a different carb system. Great saws.

Yes its worth it to you....I have a 112 I want to do the same with....runs but low compression....Sachs Dolmar sound awesome.

Checked in with my chainsaw guy and received bad news. He didn't touch the saw because he could not access parts. An employee took the saw when I dropped it off. Shop owner was elsewhere. So, what do I have to lose? Decided to replace whatever myself. Never worked on a saw but piston rings are piston rings. First stumbling block is what is the size of the hex wrench needed to remove the jug? Guessing it will be a metric size.

How does this site do private messages? I can send photos with an email address. Will pay either cash or PayPal.

Found the private conversation feature but after composing a message, how to send it is over my pay grade.

Attachments

• DSCN2003.JPG
    DSCN2003.JPG
    962.6 KB · Views: 11
Check your bearing cages an lower rod bearing for failure. Something floating around caused that, or maybe even a piece of muffler baffle. Are your wrist pin clips still intact? Also check you ring locator pins. See if the ring wore past the pin and hung on a port.

DSCN2461.jpg DSCN2458.jpg DSCN2459.jpg Wrist pin clips still there but when I removed them, somehow disappeared into a black hole. Locator pins are a mystery to me. Did notice 2 holes, one for each ring, but didn't detect anything that looked like a pin. Don't have tools to measure anything. Did discover at the base of the cylinder the cylinder is a MAHLE with a PN of 477NC.

Finally received a new piston with rings. New piston has an arrow stamped on the top.Does the arrow point toward the muffler, my guess, or toward the carburetor? What is the secret required to get the rings to slide into the cylinder?

Attempted to install the cylinder and the top ring broke. Not happy but WTH. Ordered another set and next time will find someone that has the skill to do this.

This is what I have used to install rings for many years now, cheap enough and works so well,

s-l640.jpg

This is what I have used to install rings for many years now, cheap enough and works so well,

s-l640.jpg
Ordered that kit and it arrived yesterday. Couldn't figure out the function of the black and white whatever. Worked at installing the cylinder with it over an hour with no success before the top ring broke. Ordered another set of rings but since they are coming from Greece, it'll be at least 3 weeks before I can do any more.

Those are piston blockers to be inserted through the sparkplug hole instead of using recoil rope, they work ok for getting clutches and flywheels off the crank. The ring compressors should hold the rings tight enough in the piston that they don`t catch the beveled edge of the cylinder when slipping it down over, a slight rocking of the cylinder helps with this.

Latest posts

Back