Video of a MS500i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thing is FI? Curious why would you need to prime it?

BR,

~TW

Yes, fuel injection, same principle as their own cutoff saws. You need to prime them each time you turn them on because there's no conventional fuel pump as you would have in a larger engine: once the engine is running it will run the pump.
Very clever design.

And I am waiting for the Luddite crowd to start howling like a pack of wolves in a Dracula flick. ;)

Yes, fuel injection, same principle as their own cutoff saws. You need to prime them each time you turn them on because there's no conventional fuel pump as you would have in a larger engine: once the engine is running it will run the pump.
Very clever design.

And I am waiting for the Luddite crowd to start howling like a pack of wolves in a Dracula flick. ;)

Nice shot across the bow!

BR,

~TW

This thing is FI? Curious why would you need to prime it?

BR,

~TW

It works just like the TS500i.

The TS500i has a magnet ring on the back of the flywheel and a generator under the flywheel to supply power to the ECU. The ECU controls injection duration, timing, and contains the high energy ignition module. It also stores information like trouble codes, running hours, and current tune information. It uses a sensor in the crankcase to measure pressure and temp. The throttle shutter controls air flow and nothing else. The injection pump, once the engine is running maintains constant fuel pressure. The fuel pump bulb, primes the injection valve for proper starting. You press it 7 to 10 times, even on hot restarts. The fuel injection is running at 1.4 psi.

It works just like the TS500i.

The TS500i has a magnet ring on the back of the flywheel and a generator under the flywheel to supply power to the ECU. The ECU controls injection duration, timing, and contains the high energy ignition module. It also stores information like trouble codes, running hours, and current tune information. It uses a sensor in the crankcase to measure pressure and temp. The throttle shutter controls air flow and nothing else. The injection pump, once the engine is running maintains constant fuel pressure. The fuel pump bulb, primes the injection valve for proper starting. You press it 7 to 10 times, even on hot restarts. The fuel injection is running at 1.4 psi.

When you say timing is that ignition timing or does it have a variable valve?

BR,

~TW

Very clever design.

Wow, If I was to make a cut in a good sized chunk then want to roll it over to cut bottom of log and it took me 15-25 seconds to do it so I would shut the saw off then I have to prime the dang thing 7 times to fire it up? Wow...not liking the sound of that and this is just a single example of why I would shut a saw off. Definitely wouldn't want this saw in a bucket cutting and shutting off and cutting and shutting off.

Wow, If I was to make a cut in a good sized chunk then want to roll it over to cut bottom of log and it took me 15-25 seconds to do it so I would shut the saw off then I have to prime the dang thing 7 times to fire it up? Wow...not liking the sound of that and this is just a single example of why I would shut a saw off. Definitely wouldn't want this saw in a bucket cutting and shutting off and cutting and shutting off.

Which is why I believe the 462 is the golden child, the 500i went come to light, and they will build the "662" as a sized up 462. :-D

Back