Does the 660 have a carb "compensator"?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canyon Angler

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Edit: I should have titled this post, "What is a carb compensator?"

Anyway, I was reading on the Stihl website for their old 660 at

https://www.stihl.com/STIHL-power-t...l-chainsaws-for-forestry/2682-131/MS-660.aspx

where it shows the carb and says:

061ba6b948304020915d52a7656b84a5.jpg

Compensator
This controller in the carburettor prevents the fuel-air mixture getting richer as the air filter becomes clogged. The correct quantity of fuel is delivered to the carburettor depending on the quantity of air passing through the air filter. This keeps the fuel/air ratio in the combustion mixture constant and hence also the engine power. The filter doesn't need to be cleaned until an appreciable drop in power occurs.

I'm not familiar with this "compensator" thing. Is it just something in the design of the carb, and would my AM 660 be likely to have it, as well?

Thanks.

Thanks, Jackjcc.

So ... was this "compensator" something relatively new that the 660 used?
Or was it just some characteristic that all carburetors have had since the beginnng, like "Properly mixes air and fuel at ANY throttle position!"

I've never heard of it before, so I'm trying to sort out whether it's actually something innovative, or just marketing BS. ("Has ROUND® wheels for a smoother ride!")

Its been on other saws too, “intellicarb” they called it. Stihl has to do this cuz they still cant seem to figure out an air filter system that works.

Back