Maasdam Rope Puller

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimberWolf530

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
These things look pretty cool, and they're dirt cheap. $52 on Amazon with 20 ft rope included. Anyone used one that can give me an opinion on how it works, durability, etc? Also, I'm looking to get some new rope, most likely a double braid. I've been using 1/2 and 3/4 nylon, and it's just too stiff , and hard to work with. I cut maybe 10-12 trees a year that I need to use rope to control, so don't need the best, but I don't want junk either. I don't climb, so I just need a good durable rope for pulling.

These things look pretty cool, and they're dirt cheap. $52 on Amazon with 20 ft rope included. Anyone used one that can give me an opinion on how it works, durability, etc? Also, I'm looking to get some new rope, most likely a double braid. I've been using 1/2 and 3/4 nylon, and it's just too stiff , and hard to work with. I cut maybe 10-12 trees a year that I need to use rope to control, so don't need the best, but I don't want junk either. I don't climb, so I just need a good durable rope for pulling.

I have one, it works well though it's not been really put through the paces. I have owned a come along with cable for years that i used a lot and it has pulled my truck out many times. I don't wheel anymore to put the masdaam though the paces. If it works as well id easily choose the masdaam as the limited length and frayed cable are my only complaints on the come along, but they never slip, and that counts for a lot.

I use Samson three strand 1/2 inch.

Thanks for the input all. I went ahead and ordered one. Home Depot has them with 20 ft of rope for $45. At that price, I couldn't pass it up. I've got a couple hundred feet of rope already, so I didn't think I needed any more. I've always used a truck or tractor before, so this should give me a lot better control.

What is the difference between a Masdaam Puller and your typical hardware store variety come-along hand wench? Brand name, or is there a significant mechanical and/or design difference?

Typically come alongs have a cable and a limited length. The masdaam uses rope and it doesn't build on the spool so your length is only limited by your rope.

Same basic goal.

I don't wheel anymore like I said but occasionally you're getting cocky backing long trailers in tight spots and you drop a front tire into the ditch and your 6000lb truck, most of that sitting on the front, becomes a paper weight. More the reason to get my 4wd fixed but that's another story. Luckily I have the Masdaam, a hydraulic jack, a modest knowledge of rigging, and a super ability to spend all my weekends taking one step forward and two steps back.

Anywhoo, it's the most I've asked of the Masdaam at this point and I was really impressed with it. Rope did not slip and I wasn't guiding the non tensioned side.

We got the Maasdam puller and 150' of 3-strand rope from TreeStuff.com.

http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=1924&item=117

Have used it a few times to pull apart tangled trees, leaners, etc. 10:1 mechanical advantage. 20:1 with a pulley. 1,500 pound rating.

Pretty light and easy to carry along with a few slings and rigging carabiners to help out in a lot of situations.

Philbert

9kMvZIV.jpg

alYEbGM.jpg

w6mEDSP.jpg

Tirfor/griphoist type cable puller , this one pulls 2500lbs on both strokes of the handle and will also play out on both strokes .
Cable length depends on what you want , I have a 15' , 25' , 50' and a 75' .

We got the Maasdam puller and 150' of 3-strand rope from TreeStuff.com.

http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=1924&item=117

Have used it a few times to pull apart tangled trees, leaners, etc. 10:1 mechanical advantage. 20:1 with a pulley. 1,500 pound rating.

Pretty light and easy to carry along with a few slings and rigging carabiners to help out in a lot of situations.

Philbert

I have also been using for about 7 years and love it - Has been really helpful used as described above. I did notice after a lot of use that I tended to extend the same amount and the original rope got a bit "slick" meaning tight & worn in one section. Not a big deal and could be avoided but I ordered another section of 200'.

Also, just last month I used it to get my 2WD compact ford out of a slick spot in a spot that would have been a PIA to use my jeep.

And all put away before the wife got home lol
I was grinding out stumps with my Vermeer 630A. They are known for being top heavy. I was pulling it around the yard with my brand new John Deere 265. I was going slow, and felt something odd. Looked back and the up hill tire ran over a big rock and started to tilt the machine over. I thought if I could make it a few more inches the tire would drop back down. But, too late, the hitch on the tractor twisted/bent, and over went the stump grinder followed by the tractor. I backed the F250 up and got a line on both machines and was getting ready to pull, and my phone rang. It was my cousin. I said, "Tom, I flipped the tractor over and I gotta get it back up before Carolyn sees it", and hung up. Jumped in the truck and eased up. Both machines flipped back up and looked fine. Just as I called my cousin back and told him every thing was OK. My wife stuck her head out the door and said, "Don't think I didn't see you turn over my brand new tractor." Funny, that was about 20 years ago and she hasn't been on that tractor since I brought it home. But, when it was new, it was "Hers".

Back