Upgrading from Stihl MS 170 -- Husky 365?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZapRowsdower

Reaction score
Hey all, have had a MS 170 with a 16'' bar for about five years now. Was my first saw and it's done me well for casual use. Have felled about a dozen trees with it, max about 18'' in diameter, and it's done okay since I put a proper chain on it. But, have a 24'' dead elm I need to bring down and so I think it's time to upgrade. Given this thing has leaked bar oil like a sieve pretty much since day 1 (apparently a very common problem) I was thinking of moving over to Husqvarna.

I was looking at a Husky 460, but the 365 seems like perhaps a better choice and something that seems to get high marks here. Also, the 562XP also looks quite good. I am very open to suggestions. I'll probably keep the 170 around for lighter jobs, so I don't mind going a little bigger/heavier. But, this will be a saw I'll probably use a couple times a year max, so I also don't want to go mortgage the house, either :)

Appreciate any advice!

Thanks, I think my main concern is whether it's enough saw for hardwood. Two years ago I cut down a much smaller elm near this one I need to take down now, and it was a real struggle with my MS170. I know any of these will be a big step up, but I'm willing to spend extra if it means getting the tree on the ground quicker/safer.

Take the step up to 365/372 you won’t regret it. I have a 450 Rancher and a 365 converted to 372, and it’s an incredible difference. Like night and day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of the three you mentioned, the 562 would be the fastest cutting and most fun, the 365 a close second, and the 460 is a good homeowner saw that would serve you well for your intended purpose. It just depends on how much you want to spend. I too would buy the echo 590 over the 460. It's more saw for the money. If price doesn't matter, go for the 562xp.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I think my main concern is whether it's enough saw for hardwood. Two years ago I cut down a much smaller elm near this one I need to take down now, and it was a real struggle with my MS170. I know any of these will be a big step up, but I'm willing to spend extra if it means getting the tree on the ground quicker/safer.
I suspect that the main reason for the struggle was the chain not being properly sharpened. I write this from experience. Ever since I bought a Stihl 2-in-1 sharpener I find it easy to keep the chain properly sharpened, so I routinely touch up the chain at the start of each cutting session, and in the field at the first sign it is going dull. Now even the hardest of woods yield easily to my little MS241. If you are not a master freehanding with a file, I recommend the 2-in-1.

Back