262xp suddenly stopping

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outdoorsman0490

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have had this 262xp for about a year now. I have only run 5 or so tanks through it at my house for firewood; but it looks to be well used before I got it.
Compression is 170 and cuts real nice with the 18” 3/8 on it.

Anyway. I took it out yesterday to cut up some ash logs. Made about 10 cuts in the first log and when I got to the last cut, the saw just suddenly stopped. The only other time I ever had a saw act like this it was a 357xp that had one of the cylinder mounts break while cutting.
Take the saw in last night,compression is 170. I did see that as I pulled the starter, the chain would spin when the break was off. I don’t know if this was the right move but I put some 3 in 1 oil in the clutch drum and was able to get the chain to stop moving while starting.
When checking the compression I saw a nick in the spark plug wire, there was metal touching a fin on the cylinder, so I wrapped that with electrical tape for the time being.
Also, I put in a new bosch plug (not sure if for this particular saw) and it was sparking fine.

Took saw out today and it started fine. Made some cuts and as I was finishing a cut, if I let off the gas quickly, the saw would stop. If I kept feathering it at the end of the cut it would be ok getting to the next. Made several cuts and then the saw quit again and wouldn’t start.

Let it cool down, brought it back inside. Chain was spinning again when I start it.
Spark plug wire looks ok with the tape on it still. I took the starter off to make sure it looked ok under there, and it seemed ok.
Now the saw will start in the basement.

So where do I go from here if tomorrow it works for a few cuts then dies out? Is the nick in the spark plug wire my problem?

Thanks

I pulled the clutch off and the spring looks like it’s broken. Seems like it should connect to itself at the end, but the tip of one side is broken. Maybe that was making the spring want to straighten and is then pushing the shoes against the drum, causing my problem

IMG_8210.JPG Digging through my boxes of parts looking for 372 items and ran across this. Clutch shoes and drum have a matching grove in them, but still looks usable. Send me a pm if interested.

Back