Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, you are rocking two woodstoves in your home? Cool!
Yep, as Jeff said, 2 small stoves, 5kW nominal each, which is think is about 18-19 000 BTU each. Old and poorly insulated 2 storey home, about 1300 square feet I think. If I can keep up with feeding logs the stoves warm the whole house ok, one stove does ok down to about 7C outside then I'll light the second and coldest I had last winter was around -2 or -3 C outside and the gas boiler wasnt needed. I can't keep a fire overnight though so I appreciate timer controlled gas heating to wake to a warm house. Not needed this morning though. No frost in the end, bit of rain instead and low of 5C overnight so house still warm enough at 17-19C

My heating needs are quite different to many of you guys!

Yep, as Jeff said, 2 small stoves, 5kW nominal each, which is think is about 18-19 000 BTU each. Old and poorly insulated 2 storey home, about 1300 square feet I think. If I can keep up with feeding logs the stoves warm the whole house ok, one stove does ok down to about 7C outside then I'll light the second and coldest I had last winter was around -2 or -3 C outside and the gas boiler wasnt needed. I can't keep a fire overnight though so I appreciate timer controlled gas heating to wake to a warm house. Not needed this morning though. No frost in the end, bit of rain instead and low of 5C overnight so house still warm enough at 17-19C

My heating needs are quite different to many of you guys!

Everyone's needs are different, just like on this side of the pond, in my region (mid-Atlantic) winters are tolerable compared to those who live farther north in New England, then west from there near the Great Lakes winters are incredibly harsh and bitter, with lake effect snowfall; hardened northerners would probably compare a rough winter down here to an early spring for them. Then there's our temperate southerners who still experience a seasonal winter, though they're mild yet still cold enough to need heat. It's all relative.

The main thing is that we each are sourcing and processing our fuel needs to heat our homes. I have a pretty efficient electric heat pump, but I also have lots of trees and wood at my disposal, so why not get a little exercise and activity to accumulate fuel to heat my home? I'd estimate that taking into consideration how warm my wife likes to be, in order to heat with only electric we'd probably be spending 400-500 USD more conservatively each winter than by heating with wood. Plus, as we all know, there's something about having a fire going...

I didn't end up going to the auction sale. She told me if I thought the rain was light enough that I could stand outside in the rain all day at a sale then I could work at home in the rain too. Then she suggested "we" clean out her garage. Yeah, that isn't going to happen. I ended up working in the rain most of the day ripping an old elevator apart and robbing pieces from it to build my new conveyor for my 36" splitter. It was a nasty day but I was smiling the whole time. I win I win. I even put brand new tires on it ( only 76 more tires to sell now, damn auction). I'm putting the tin and the lifting gear onto the skeleton elevator. She didn't make much progress on the garage, some of that steel has been under the bench for 20 years. Tomorrow I'm going to rummage thru that pile and get a few pieces of steel and just weld them here and there on the conveyor just to prove a point. That isn't my Harley, I ride a Honda once a year, it's the black one sitting behind that one.
View attachment 681891 View attachment 681893 View attachment 681895 View attachment 681897
Your little friend isn’t quite sure about the slide.

No scrounging wood today. Did find one of the Houdini chicken and her 9 eggs in a little nest she made. Other than that enjoyed a morning at the Veteran horse ranch with the family.
979ce50e07b2813b7e92713817dddc95.jpg
8ad6d4401abda2905d6543e515ab1ef3.jpg
e319b63651e889ec55aee3a943a5eaa7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Overcast weekend here , 59* out there up here in the Great White North .
I went out yesterday to get the last load from that garage lot that I cut .

3E15uj8.jpg

The excavator operator found a few small ones that we missed last weekend and hauled out the big ones , since I don't have a Donk or Nates son and I wanted to get the bigger ones milled I had to think about how to load .
One phone call and ,,,

fx1DMsK.jpg

xWCdPue.jpg

fXm4F1l.jpg

Easy loading lol

Late last spring we took down the elm that was standing dead here.

I have been clearing left over branches to get passed there from several windfalls. To get to this sometime soon. Seems to be the magic windfall spot there.

Wedged in pretty good there. Haven't quite figured out how it's coming out. Will be fun for sure. Was hoping to wait for some frost but I have the time now so may as well!

Not huge but the first 20' or so is one Heck of a chunk of oak.

Safe way to take them down, that’s usually my first choice. You used a Ford :surprised3:, probably tried to cut it up with a creamsicle :innocent:.:popcorn2:
A Ford with a 460 under it. Pulled it down, no problem. And yes, cut it up with a Stihl (well, the big chunks were cut up with the Poulan 306A with 20" bar). Fords and Creamsickles, they go together like two peas in a pod. LOL

Sounds good to me! My Dad used to have a Mercury Station Wagon with a 460 in it. He used it to tow his 25" boat all over the place. My brother and I replaced the stock carb with a 850 double pumper Holley. Woke it up a bit! It pulled well, but boy did it drink!
Yeah, they are very thirsty!

Latest posts

Back