Wood splitter advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tbartruff

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a gas powered wood splitter for my own personal use and was wondering if I could get some advice on what size and brand to purchase along with approximate pricing. I was thinking around 25 ton?

Tbartruff, I just recently purchased a "Dirty Hands 30 Ton" from Lowes. It splits everything that I put on the table. It also has a table on the other side of the operator for the larger pieces.It has a 6.5 HP Kohler and a two stage pump. Very pleased so far.

I purchased a DHT 27 ton splitter around 4 or 5 years ago and it's been everything and then some for us. I split between the neighbor and I probably 10+ cord a year with no issues. The customer service is there if any issues would arise.

I've had my DHT for a few years now. It has been pretty flawless. I have had a few issues/questions and that is where it sets DHT apart. They have gone above and beyond to ensure I was taken care of. They have also shown to have some of the best if not the best customer service around. Without a question that is the brand I would go with. Mine was around $800.

Seriously consider a SuperSplit if it is in your price range, and adaptable to your needs.
They are not road towable, and noodling may be required for pieces you are unable to lift.
That being said, they have a very solid following of owners. Kind of like brand name things like Jeeps.
Not a fan of Jeeps, just saying, you love'm or you don't.
The pluses are a very usable work table, regardless of which side you operate from, for re-splitting. Meaning the table extends beyond the wedge at beam height which catches both halves of a split round. You don't have to lift it, just slide it back to the beam for re-splitting. The beam and table allow working with a straight back.
Another plus. It is fairly quick compared to similar priced hydraulic units.
It is ergonomic as far as feet and leg positioning. No axle, tires or things that you have to do slightly bent. The entire side of the splitter is open to work freely, on a single level.
Belt driven with a centrifugal clutch. Very nice set-up. Sips fuel.
Small wedge cuts wood vs splitting.
Drawbacks. Probably should be stored inside. Take a bit of getting used to. Should be operated by a single person, no exceptions, and with all covers in place. (Yesterday I was viewing YouTube and three posts showed the machine being operated without the main cover on the flywheels, shirttails loose, and one girl with an unzipped jacket flapping. That's absolutely crazy.)
Doesn't tow on-road. Doesn't tow well if your taking it in the woods as it is somewhat top heavy.
As kinetic splitters go, many brands have issues, so do your research. I went with SuperSplit after reading posts on the ArboristSite, and love it. I do seventy full cords (128 cu. ft./cord) a year.

I have the Speeco(Husky) 22 ton from Tractor Supply, and have split about 8 cords a year for the past 8 or 9 years or so, and it's worked well for me. I think they are called Country Line splitters now, but I think Speeco is still the manufacturer.

DHT is a site sponsor, and, from what I've read here, seems to be great with customer service. If they would have been around when I bought mine, I would have looked seriously at them.

The one thing I wish I had got was a log lift. It's a little pricey, but I could have used it a LOT... I'm not getting any younger! ;)

I'm not into fast production, but the one I have works well for me.

I'm with sandhill in that if you want to spend a little more SS is the way to go unless all you split is huge rounds. My DHT gets used for most of the larger rounds. Rather than noodling them I go vertical with my DHT and split the rounds that way.

Surge Master or Wallenstein h/v. Same splitter, different colors. I forget the model number but it's the one with tail lights.

If you do go with a hydraulic splitter, I recommend getting one with a faster cycle time. This will usually come with a higher rated tonnage and a bigger engine. I wanted a Super Split but the inability to go vertical and price, are the reasons I went with a hydraulic splitter.

I initially liked the County Line splitter from TSC, then the DH splitter came out. The DH splitter seemed more solid than the CL. Recently, the CL unit had what I thought was a non-braided return line at the valve which seemed to cause it to link when the unit was verticle. I ended up with the Champion 27T from HD due to price, tonnage, and construction. HD, LOWES, and TSC all have EXCELLENT return policies if you are not satisfied. I spent a long time searching YouTube videos before I built mine and several years lurking on the WEB and several competitors sites to make my decision. Champion does not seem to have the history of reviews that many other brands have, and like some others, mine has a welded I beam. Honestly, it looks similar to several other models with just a different color finish. I also like the Rugged Made 25? ton half beam for about 1500. It is push through and includesn4 way wedge and log lift. I will NEVER own another horizontal splitter without a log lift.

If you’re only splitting for yourself then any of the hydraulic splitters out there will be fine. 20 tons is plenty. I have the same huskee as Stumpy, same amount of time, split a little more wood, no regrets. At the time it was almost the cheapest option and it’s been one of the few times I didn’t regret not going bigger. I’ve never run into anything that it wouldn’t split. At the time the huskee was this site’s bargain darling. Now that title goes to DHT which has exhibited some good customer service.

Sometimes the 25ton splitters just have a slightly larger cylinder which makes for more power but extends cycle time. To me cycle time is more important than power. Go forth and buy the fastest cycle time your wallet will allow. Brand isn’t so important imho on the hydraulic splitters. They all pretty much work.

If you start down the road of looking at kinetic splitters you’d probably be best served with the super split and avoid the cheaper options. They have not been proven reliable.

I have one of these Wallenstein Splitters. 20 ton on paper but I split everything and have not found any wood it can't split yet. These are the ones that the rental shops have around my area, built like a tank! When I was looking to buy, I called all the rental shops to see if they had any for sale - Nope! "They never break and last forever" (their words).

An essential in any serious splitter in my book is, the gas sipping Honda engine must be placed far back from the splitting area, which is the only way to have it so you're not clipping your engine repeatedly with falling wood.
http://www.wallensteinequipment.com/ca/en/model/wx540l

If you don't need the vertical feature (I don't use the vertical as much as I thought I would - prefer to noodle large rounds), then this one is also a nice bit of strong kit and a few bucks cheaper:
http://www.wallensteinequipment.com/ca/en/model/wx520l

AND... if you are needing more commercial production speeds and more ramps, there are these:
http://www.wallensteinequipment.com/ca/en/group/log-splitters/wxr700-trailer

I paid around $2500 Cdn taxes in for my 540L, but your US dollar means you have an appx 30% advantage over what I paid.

my speeco 22 ton has done everything I have ever needed to split. I never have thought I needed anything bigger. honestly the thing is heavy enough the way it is , Idont think i would want anything bigger

I have just a 22 ton from tractor supply and haven’t had anything yet that it would not split. Also like the idea of the knock off if it happens to get a lil stuck in a knot. Witch only happened once. Also like the horizontal shaft rather than vertical. And cycle time isn’t all that bad either versus some of the bigger ton size ya buy, they are usually a lil slower. Have had three years and no complaints yet. Only thing is I guess I Kinda like the Briggs motors rather than Koehler but it does the job just fine and always starts so guess it isn’t a huge problem lol. Would recommend it for sure especially for home owner use. I’d say I’ve split around 120 chords with it to date. Hopefully this helps. And can’t really beat the price. I also find I can roll logs to it as it is vertical and split way faster that way than with one with a lift table. Ya still need to get block to splitter. So I roll it over flip it up and split. Works just fine. My boss has a 30 ton with a lift table. And I can out split him basically twice as fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one of these Wallenstein Splitters. 20 ton on paper but I split everything and have not found any wood it can't split yet. These are the ones that the rental shops have around my area, built like a tank! When I was looking to buy, I called all the rental shops to see if they had any for sale - Nope! "They never break and last forever" (their words).

An essential in any serious splitter in my book is, the gas sipping Honda engine must be placed far back from the splitting area, which is the only way to have it so you're not clipping your engine repeatedly with falling wood.
http://www.wallensteinequipment.com/ca/en/model/wx540l

If you don't need the vertical feature (I don't use the vertical as much as I thought I would - prefer to noodle large rounds), then this one is also a nice bit of strong kit and a few bucks cheaper:
http://www.wallensteinequipment.com/ca/en/model/wx520l

AND... if you are needing more commercial production speeds and more ramps, there are these:
http://www.wallensteinequipment.com/ca/en/group/log-splitters/wxr700-trailer

I paid around $2500 Cdn taxes in for my 540L, but your US dollar means you have an appx 30% advantage over what I paid.

Yes, this. 100 times over.

Most box store splitters are the same, yes. And adequate. But IMO they are all laid out wrong. The engine is usually in a vulnerable wrong place, and some or maybe even a lot or most don't allow for equally easy operation from both sides. That first one linked (540) is the one I have. Except mine is green.

To the OP,

What is your maximum budgeted price and how much wood do you split a year? Will the splitter be used commercially? Does the splitter need to be towed over the road or just from the shed to the log pile?

Answer these questions and you'll be well on your way to narrowing the search.

If the budget allows, look at Timberwolf or American.

Take Care

Ya there's way too much to weigh with on the personal situation & priority sides to come up with a 'right' answer based on the basic OP and feedback that will get.

Personally I think design has more to do with how much wood you split and how willing you are to work. I am lazy, yep I said it. Most of the commercial cheapie splitters will serve the general homeowner for years with just a little routine maintenance. Most will split big knotty rounds with little effort. What it boils down to is how much speed you desire. Cant beat the speed of grapping a round and throwing it onto the splitter and hitting a lever and watching it fall into splits. Not a bad plan for someone that splits small wood and small quantities. Try doing that and splitting 4 or more cords in a session. Your back will give out way before the splitter does. Then you have the log lifts, yep just roll that big round on the lift and raise it up to splitting height. Works pretty good as long as the rounds are staged and dont have to be moved very far, and a mulitsplit wedge really helps. Again, your back will give out rolling those big rounds to the splitter long before the splitter quits. That lift also adds cost to your splitter, but being a lazy person, I would prefer it to picking the rounds up by hand,, even at the cost of a little speed. Than you have us really lazy people that use a boom to pick the rounds up. I simply walk over to a large round, hook up the log dogs and hit a button and the log gets dragged to the splitter and lifted on the beam. Yep it takes a little longer to get the wood on the splitter, but I can do it all day with out a hurting and sore back. My splitter probably runs rounds thru it about the same speed as any other splitter, but instead of splitting for a hour and taking a break, I can split for hours. At the end of the day, I can probably split just as much wood, with less effort as someone lifting rounds by hand and not be as tired at the end of the day. Now thats not to say my splitter can produce tons of wood a day with just one person doing all the hooking and splitting, but give me a crew of good workers and it can make their tounges hang out making production. Even with a large crew of feeders and stackers, we will give out way before the machine does. I have done a cord in fifteen minutes, split and stacked with 5 people, and every one of them was sweating and breathing hard trying to keep up. Yesterday, we did 2 cord of 30+dia rounds in two hours, split and stacked with three people. I could have beat that a little if my truck tire hadnt went flat and I had to blow it up before I could move the trailer full of splits to the stacks. As a one man splitting crew, I can do about a cord in a hour with good wood, but even with a boom I need help with the big stuff.

Back