Dumb choice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So I'm out in my yard raking leaves and cleaning up a tree, when a neighbor stops by and asks if I want any wood. I tell her 'maybe.' A relative is taking down a tree and putting all the wood in a trailer and taking it to our yard waste drop off. Pretty soon a couple guys stop by with the trailer and I off-load a couple rounds. It's all silver maple, but I use that in my bundles.

The guy shows me a pic of the tree and asks how much to get the rest. All the branches are done, and it's just 15 feet of trunk. I tell him $100.
Well, the pic made it look much smaller - it's nearly 4 feet across, and both of my big saws are down and out, but I have my CS620 with a 24" bar. So I drop it and start chunking it. I throw all the knots and crotches into one pile by the road, and all the good stuff into a pile for me. I only have a couple hours, and near the end of it I hit a screw. Dang it! Notice a bunch of screws in the tree then, so the owner gets his drill and I go home.

Next day I still don't have time to finish, but I avoid the screw area like the plague. Day after that I lose TWO chains. I was really trying to be careful, but that just didn't work. Anyway, I got probably 2 face cords or more, and told the guy about the chains. He paid me $150 and borrowed a buddys Kuboda to pick up some big chunks and the junk wood, so I didn't have to do so much work after all. I was able to sharpen 2 of the chains back to working condition, but I have a pile of metal filings and my arm hurts!

We just did some large locust logs that I had removed from a fence line I cleaned up two years ago on one of my farms. We ruined two chains that day cutting them up nails, bolts and fence should have just threw the logs in the burn pile but they made nice firewood.

Just had a tree guy ask to drop some stuff off this week. The load of larger limb wood looked nice, so I said sure. Second load of trunk wood has a lot of black streaks in the oak and several rounds had small,shinny silver spots too! Great!
Maybe a little less than a cord in all. Now I wish I had kept some of those used up chains I threw out a month ago.

Sometimes these jobs go smooth but more often they bite me !! Cut through a nail the other day on some older oak I had laying in the wood yard for two years. it was getting punky and at that point I had wished I tossed it into the woods on the rot pile.

We just did some large locust logs that I had removed from a fence line I cleaned up two years ago on one of my farms. We ruined two chains that day cutting them up nails, bolts and fence should have just threw the logs in the burn pile but they made nice firewood.

Locust is only found here where the settlers and farmers planted them around farmsteads. Locust borer moved in here and killed a lot of them. I removed every dead locust I could get permission to cut for 30 miles around. At one time I had 80 cord in the wood lot. Oddly I only hit 1 wire and that was when attempting to avoid another one. Saw the wire scars for a 3 wire fence so moved up 6 inches and hit 'something' (nail or wire). I had avoided a few others by sheer luck as I found them when splitting rounds.

Ya town tree’s and the things you’ll find... nails, screed, horse shoes,connecting rod and piston, flat head engine block, half a bicycle ... all free with the wood...

One of the chains just barely nicked a screw on the side. It made a really funny noise. One side was all messed up but the other side was just fine. I had to remove a lot of metal to get it sharp again. 25 strokes on the good side, which is about halfway on this brand new chain.

Hmm. You use the normal kind, or is there a handheld kind you recommend?

Inquiring minds want to know, me too. Bought the wife your standard metal detector and she doesn’t use it, sounds like it might find a new home. Great idea.

Seconded!

I have a standard one as well, was given it by a friend who bought two, one for his now ex-wife... Had used it for odd jobs here and there, works well. Had a close call with lag bolts in a red oak that fell in a storm a few years ago. The remaining 10' of trunk still rots on my hill, stopped cutting after finding full bolts inside some of the logs I was splitting to make them smaller to carry down, then noticed some on the outside of the trunk. By dumb luck I missed about six of them before finding them inside the splits...

Took a better look at what was dropped off earlier this week. Two feet of barbed wire sticking out of one round. So much for free wood. Thank you very much...
We were just working some locust logs I had cut two years ago with the hyd saw on the Bobcat were I thought a old fence line had been I was holding them up with the grapple fork when I noticed some barb wire hanging out of the log stopped the chain saw guy had him cut the bottom five foot off and that went to the burn pile. Metal in the trees is always a problem when cleaning up farm ground. That free wood gets expensive in a hurry.

Metal is where ya find it.. I answered a free wood ad, and it was downed trees up on the side of a hill, out of town, beside a dirt road/path.. First cut and that chain was out of commission. Wire and staple. Double whammy right outta da gate

Latest posts

Back