The big oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I think I have managed to upload a pic here.

I harvested around 2 cord of wood just from the limbs. Log measured 4 1/2 ft across at the butt, 25' long, all solid, no rot. I did run into one small branch that was dead but not rotted. I did not need the wood and every round would have had to be noodled into stove wood size due to all the big knots.

Landowner located a couple guys who will take the log for milling. They are now figuring out a way to haul that thing. My estimate is over, possibly way over 5 tons. There are two more oaks of about the same size. I will be doing them next year after harvest. Those guys will take those two also. Nice to see a good log used for milling vice firewood.

Attachments

• 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 108
I think I have managed to upload a pic here.

I harvested around 2 cord of wood just from the limbs. Log measured 4 1/2 ft across at the butt, 25' long, all solid, no rot. I did run into one small branch that was dead but not rotted. I did not need the wood and every round would have had to be noodled into stove wood size due to all the big knots.

Landowner located a couple guys who will take the log for milling. They are now figuring out a way to haul that thing. My estimate is over, possibly way over 5 tons. There are two more oaks of about the same size. I will be doing them next year after harvest. Those guys will take those two also. Nice to see a good log used for milling vice firewood.

I dont know,

Id like to see all that stacked in holz hausen’s in my back yard. It would look nice[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got into a couple big Oaks just like that , biggest saw I had was my 440...after that I was on a mission to find a 90+ cc saw!

So thats how i justify a “big saw”. I need to “happen upon” a huge tree and say “ honey, this tree alone will cover our wood supply for 2 years. Ill go get an appropriate saw for it.

I really want a 390XP anyway.

So thats how i justify a “big saw”. I need to “happen upon” a huge tree and say “ honey, this tree alone will cover our wood supply for 2 years. Ill go get an appropriate saw for it.

Carl Miller builds a nice 390.

4076306fe444d5f47d6be8d83d053d42.jpg
d7e0dbcb6e012e578f9dcfa71edd98f8.jpg

That’s about how it went.

I spent ever spare second of my time for the better part of a month hacking on those trees..the 440 got it done but I definitely brought a knife to a gun fight on that one, since I bought the 066 I've never been under saw’d again.

4076306fe444d5f47d6be8d83d053d42.jpg
d7e0dbcb6e012e578f9dcfa71edd98f8.jpg

Hey Pete, did you make Howard County this year. My buddy told me there was a real nice Kelly double in the upper field and an Echo 8000. We went hunting instead. Got my biggest buck ever, 194 pounds, up in Lisbon. Probably see you at the March sale.

I got into a couple big Oaks just like that , biggest saw I had was my 440...after that I was on a mission to find a 90+ cc saw!

I was working with a 441CM Magnum 32" bar. Chains were about down to slivers so things didn't go all that well. Cutting slight curve when I made the last cut at the top. Cuts didn't mtch up working from both sides.

Farmer went looking for a 4' bar saw to rent. Of course none to be had. Asked "will a 60cc saw handle a 4' bar. LOL.

I have cut oaks like that with my ms260 and an 18" bar. It can be done, but I don't want to do that again.

Buried steel, rocks happen often in my old oaks.

The oak, cotton wood and locust of that size around here are mostly in pasture fence lines that no one wan't to deal with the steel in them. We always try to cut above and below the fence to protect the chain those five foot chains are not cheap.

Back